Chapter 20 - Dark Tears

Although my upper body strength was pretty good (yes, for a woman), I knew I was going to have to seriously step up into my fitness routine in order to at least do three or four runs at mannequin targets. They would be set at full bodyweight, and I would have to knock them down and free the blade at gallop.

I'll be honest, the challenge to myself was exciting, I had almost three weeks left before the trials would begin. For the most part, I was left to my own devices, war preparations were gearing up a notch and the castle was noisy with feet and riders and the crafting. The mood wasn't grim, just, regimented I think is the right word, as the machine of war sped up around me.

I was delighted to be summoned to the Main Hall to eat with Yukimura one morning; it felt like ages since I had seen him. As I strode into the Hall, the dais was empty and I soon saw his tall frame as be beckoned me to join him.

He stood a little away from me as I arrived, I had not been very kind to him the last time he greeted me, so I broke all protocols and rushed to hug him. He only hesitated for a moment before hugging me back and swirling me around in his arms.

"Lady Tamara!" He exclaimed, beaming at me and blushing like a schoolboy. I just smiled back, words were unnecessary and he set me on my feet putting his hands on my shoulders to look at me at arm's length.

His hands tightened for a second then sharply let me go.

I saw confusion cross his face as it no doubt crossed mine as well.

"You ... you ... your shoulders ... you ..."

He stopped and looked at his hands as if they had been lying to him.

"Hahaha ... they're called muscles Lord Yukimura, everyone has them you know. "

He looked so uncomfortable in front of me, and a series of chuckles erupted around us.

"I know that." He tried to look cross, "but...you..." He looked away again, perplexed.

"You are a wonderfully sweet man" I said, placing my hand on his arm, "I'll take your words as a compliment, now where's the food, I could eat a horse."

We sat together and ate, although from time to time I saw his thoughts confuse him as he looked occasionally at his hands. It was endearing, and good to be at his side in friendship again.

My trainers proved invaluable to me, jogging and running around the castle grounds, I found all manner of obstacles to improve my agility and fitness. I genuinely terrified more than a few of the inhabitants, between my silver blonde ponytail and the footwear they saw some sort of restless spirit appear before them.

On a couple of occasions I trained in a long spear squad for formation practice. They gave me no quarter and my inexperience at first gave me plenty of bruises as I rode into others. The patterns weren't too hard to learn though, I have ridden more complicated dressage tests, and I know I surprised my troop commander and the others at how easily I responded to the training.

Shinshoni would kindly massage my shoulders and aching body on most evenings, she would always bring with her Lord Shingen's two dogs and it gave me a real sense of family, of belonging.

The full weight targets tested me sorely, especially when laughter would ring around me when I missed a mark or just didn't have the speed or strength to pull the blade free. They all shut up at tent pegging though, I was almost top of my group.

Lord Yukimura caught up with me in the stables a few days before the trials, he stopped in his tracks as he saw me with shock on his face.

"What?" I exclaimed defensively, then I realised I was easily carrying a saddle in each hand, wearing my tank top and wrist cuffs. "Oh for pete's sake" I sighed, setting them down and putting my hands on my hips in front of him.