Chapter 17 - Formal Apology

I stood dressed, ready to leave Lord Shingen's chambers, but every time I went to slide the door I heard footsteps come and pass by. There was no way I wanted to be caught leaving his room; it would set the castle grapevine alight with talk.

All seemed quiet, so I took a deep breath and went to make my escape – stepping straight into the path of Shinshoni.

"It's not what you think!" I blurted out immediately.

"I don't think anything Lady Tamara, are you alright?" Her initial surprise was swiftly covered.

"Actually," I said, "Could you tell me what a formal apology is?"

She relaxed, took my arm and explained in detail as we walked to the Main Hall.

She bid me farewell at the doors and as they swung open I could see several different discussions going on at once. Lord Shingen simply offered me a nod and small gesture to enter, and I looked for Yukimura and saw he and another group of generals were having their own discussion to Shingen's left.

Lord Yukimura saw me enter the Hall, his face wore so many emotions at once I couldn't tell which was which, and he quickly went back to talking.

I strode purposefully down the Hall, stood in front of him and said:

"Lord Yukimura" He looked up at my tone.

I knelt and placed my head to the floor.

"Please forgive me My Lord, I am truly sorry for my transgression."

"Lady Tamara! Please! Get up!" He sounded distressed; the men around him however seemed impressed by my courtesy.

I kept my eyes down to the floor even when I sat up, remembering what Shinshoni had told me.

"Of course you are forgiven Lady Tamara." His formal acceptance was a relief to my ears and only then did I look up at him. I wanted him to see I was truly sorry for our fight.

"But you would do well not to draw on me again." His stern voice shocked me for a second until a few of those around him began to chuckle, and I saw his eyes soften before he beamed at me.