Chapter 4 - A Light in the Dark

My stomach recoiled and I dry heaved against the gag, until the need to get more air took over.

I'm losing myself to panic.

There's a sharp pain in my chest that makes me fold forwards, I think my heart just twisted.

Something rushes to my head sending white lights into my eyes. My jaw is pounding from the hit; I have never been struck like that before.

I feel helpless.

Hopeless.

And now I was to be some sort of bait ...

Time seemed to stretch into forever.

The darkness was so complete I couldn't tell if my eyes were open or not. I drew my legs up under the kimono to try and conserve some body heat, but whatever the floor is made of, it drains it from me.

A part of me wished Kanetsugu had used his sword to end me.

I heard a faint scratching sound, I'm probably surrounded by rats, wherever I was had an old, moldy smell.

Suddenly my senses jumped.

I was sure I was not alone.

Fear moved back into my body and I blinked to see if the darkness moved at all.

"Lady Tamara."

A whispered female voice was in my ear.

I screamed against the gag, my eyes searching for the owner.

How?

A delicate hand, ghostly in the gloom, raised the pendant to my face. It writhed for a moment, flashing a dim green against the darkness.

"Shh, be still." The soft voice spoke again. I winced as she took the gag from my mouth, my swollen jaw flashing a lightning bolt of hurt.

A small flask came towards my mouth.

'Oh great' I thought, 'Now I'm going to be poisoned instead.'

"It's a restorative, please drink it, we don't have much time and I have much to do." I accepted the flask to my lips and remembered the vile taste from what seemed forever ago. I went to speak, but the pain in my jaw stopped me.

I still couldn't see a face.

I heard rustling and a clink of metal and glass.

Two large eyes met mine - a small light, like a soft orange ball illuminated the space just between us.

"We don't have time." She said to my unasked question, "Lady Tamara, I am going to have to cause you pain in order to help you. I am sorry." She replaced the gag as my eyes sent her all sorts of questions.

"Be brave - I know you are strong."

The woman disappeared from sight - it occurred to me she made no sound when she moved - then I felt cool fingers take the kimono from my right shoulder.

What the fuck was going on?

What felt like a brush began to move against my skin, like something was being drawn there?

The touch was cool, like paint.

Then my shoulder erupted into fire. I could hear my skin fizzing as needles of pain made my head swim. I bit the gag, screaming inside, gasping for air through my nose as my eyes streamed. My head started to spin as well, the searing pain was relentless.

Another series of brushstrokes - I knew what was coming and tried to struggle, but was held firm by hands that had incredible strength. I couldn't take much more. I was on the way to passing out. The waves of pain retreated a little and there was a chemical and flesh smell in the air. My stomach lurched and I fought not to throw up into the gag.

There was a snapping sound behind me and then fresh agony - something cold was sort of sprung into my shoulder. It almost felt like I was being stapled by something.

Another. I screamed into the cloth now damp across my mouth.

Another. I couldn't breathe.

And Another. All I could do was whimper.

My breathing was so damned difficult with the gag and a river of tears burnt my eyes.

More brushstrokes, and I readied myself - but this time the coating was calming the knives of fire in my shoulder. I sighed and sagged as the pain backed off a little. A dressing of some sort sent a cold stinging through to my bones, then my kimono was gently replaced, the eyes and the glowing light appeared in front of me again.

She gently took the gag away and I gulped for air, the sharp coldness of it in my lungs a slight distraction from ground zero in my shoulder. She put a finger to my lips to stop my questions and another small flask appeared, this time, the vile taste was almost welcome.

"Part of the pendant is now with you." She whispered, "Your range of understanding will be much broader, but others will still need to be near to understand you. You must keep this a secret."

"I..." She shook her head, stopping me speak.

"Kenshin now has a copy - yours is not the only one." My eyes jumped in their sockets.

"I am sorry Lady Tamara." She said, putting the gag back in place. I heard what I presumed was her gathering her things. She appeared once more bathed in the soft glow of the orb like object and I saw it bob away with her. From where she was I heard a whisper:

"You can understand me?" My eyes widened, I nodded.

"Trust in the fates and those of us working to help you."

And with that the glow vanished and the darkness was absolute.