Chapter 15 - Broken Cages

I arrived at the Main Hall that fateful morning looking for Lord Yukimura to share breakfast with. As I entered I saw Lord Shingen, several of his top generals, along with Yukimura, his father, and a few of The Ten engrossed in what was obviously a serious discussion of some sort.

Bowing slightly as Shingen saw me enter, I went to find a place where I would be far enough away for them to think their conversation was still in private.

From my first mouthful of food I realised they were discussing me and I had to force myself to appear ignorant. I couldn't put names to all the voices from the angle I was on, and some of the conversation was out of my hearing range, but what I did hear made my blood turn to ice.

"You can't be serious ..." (?)

"I promised her a fair trial." (Shingen)

"But a woman!" (Kansuke)

I stared at my bowl and controlled myself, I was getting used to how the men saw me here, no problem.

"What is wrong with her?" (Yukimura) "It is like she is ..."

"Yukimura, she is close to breaking point, she is very fragile right now, be patient." (Shingen)

"She is so driven, so strong, she does not seem fragile." (?)

"Is she dangerous?" (Kansuke)

"Only to herself." (Shingen)

I was starting to have a little more difficulty looking natural, so I coughed and drank some tea. There were a few sideways glances, but I ignored them and they resumed their discussion.

"How long before Saizo returns, have you found him?" (Shingen)

SAIZO

– that word.

A sharp pain hit my heart, but I was practiced now, and so I firmly steered it back to a regular beat.

"Yes milord, after trying to destroy an entire bloodline single handed .."

(I couldn't get the rest over appreciative mutterings at this point)

"He was in Ise Province at Anotsu Castle with the Naishinnō." (Yukimura)

"The Kitasatake Princess?" (?)

Something metallic snapped loudly in my heart –

Saizo ...

                           Princess.

I stopped eating.

"Will he return before we go to war?" (Kansuke)

"Let us hope so or..."

At that point several things happened.

Firstly, I wasn't aware that I had stood up until my mind caught up with real time. Secondly, I had stood up so quickly I had sent my tray clattering to the floor.

Lord Shingen's and my eyes met.

His showed the revelation that I had not only heard but understood their conversation from this distance and I don't know what he saw in mine.

My secret was out.

I swept from the Hall.

I had to ride. I fled to the stables.

Ryo looked almost terrified as this hurling ball of female fury descended on the stables and demanded their horse. Minutes later I was galloping from the courtyard and through the castle gates. I rode to the training grounds, I don't know why, and as I galloped around the empty space, twisting and turning, the hoof prints matched the shattering pattern of my heart as it cracked the cage I was holding it in.