Chapter 13 - The Report

Ready to face the day with a purpose, I was already in the Hall as Yukimura arrived the next morning, his step faltered for just an instant before his face set and he joined me. That morning we arranged to have leather wrist supports made for me, and I was able, with Yukimura's help, to explain to the kindly tailor-type man a series of other tops and trousers I required to workout in.

Lord Yukimura left me in the middle of the day and that afternoon I went for a short ride around the training grounds - my riding muscles were dreadful - I was going to ache, I knew it. I didn't have the time or will that day to go get some maps; I took a long luxurious bath and was about to change for the evening when a rap on my door broke my peace.

"What?" My voice was terse as I slid the door, but I was met by the kind gentleman from earlier in the day - apparently tailoring here was swift. I hastily apologised and took the bundle he had with him.

Like any girl after shopping, I wanted to try on some stuff, so I swept my hair up into a high ponytail out of my way and first put on the wrist cuffs - oh yes, they were great - a small Takeda emblem was embossed on them and they were a perfect fit.

I rummaged through the rest - yes! A dark blue tank top design, it clung to me but let my shoulders move freely. I quickly sashed on my katana and drew it. Oh, this was far easier to move in, I sheathed it and was just about to untie the obi when another rap on my door hit the quiet of my room.

"Arrgh! Just Fuck Off Already!!" I shouted, before stomping over to the door.

The retainer outside took a step back away from me in surprise, then stood his ground.

"Lord Shingen ..."

"Yeah, I know"

I cut him off and swept out in front of him. Better get this over with quickly, I just wanted to get to bed and rest.

My stride was purposeful on my way to his chambers, figuring he wanted to ask why I hadn't picked up the maps as he had commanded. The retainer had a wobble in his voice announcing me.

"What's his problem?" I thought, as he almost fled from the scene before Lord Shingen had even answered. I slid the door open myself and stepped in, momentarily caught off guard seeing Shingen in a robe. I'd never seen him any other way but dressed before. He had his back to me, pouring drinks, so I was able to recover quickly. He turned to face me and froze, sake cups in hand.

I put my hands on my hips, starting to get cross.

"You sent for me Lord Shingen?" My tone was as flat as my expression.

"Lady Tamara, you look ... " His eyes flashed, then he blinked, seeing my totally deadpan face. I looked briefly at what I was wearing and wondered what the bloody problem was. I flicked back my ponytail to see him handing me a drink.

"It suits you." He finished; a small smile now lit his features, "Sit with me." He commanded.

I took the drink but had no intention of having more than a taste; it was the one thing the walls of my mind and heart might crumble against if I let it.

"It is time." He said settling opposite me.

"Pardon?" I had no idea what he meant.

"Tell me what happened."

The sentence hung in the air between us; I wasn't prepared for it at all.

I stood up and walked a step towards the door.

"Sit." The command sent a chill through me and I turned sharply back, but his expression was soft, inviting, and he offered the sake with his right hand, in complete contrast to his tone of voice.

I returned to my place in front of him and took the cup.

"Tell me what happened." He repeated.

I looked at the sake and downed it in one go.

Lord Shingen leant closer into my personal space and my eyes glittered a warning, but he stayed there, searching my expression for something. I banged the empty cup on the floor in temper.

He didn't shift his gaze and the intensity of all that amber was stronger than me - I dropped my head and stared at the floor.

"Tamara - you WILL tell me."

"Speak."

I heard him sit back while I wrestled inside - I didn't want to let anything, not a single thing back through the walls I now had in place. Then my mind found a way. I breathed deeply a couple of times, steadied my heart rate back to quiet calm and met his gaze.

I told him everything, right from the beginning, impassively, like one of his generals giving a field report (still keeping my one secret), and took one more drink of sake in the telling. I left nothing out and stopped only at the point where our eyes met at the end of his sword.

Throughout my 'report' Lord Shingen sat perfectly still, nothing betraying his thoughts.

I sighed as I finished, still dry eyed and all walls intact.

He studied me.

If he was looking for some girly breakdown, he was going to be sitting there for a long time.

"Is there anything else Lord Shingen?" I asked in a way to be able to leave.

"Tamara." His voice was so gentle I almost fell into his eyes and I was reminded he was a skilled predator as I looked away and found some calm.

"Tamara, look at me." I snapped back my head, he had moved closer in my absence. His eyes - something hungry lurked in their depths, wanting to capture me in some way.

"You said more than once to me your heart belonged to another"

"I have no heart." I said, swiftly standing up and leaving of my own accord.