Changing Times

Jasmine sighed, curling up on the bed, a thousand possibilities running through her head. Sunny . . . Sweet little Sunny . . . An irritating buzz broke through the silence and Orion kissed her cheek as he got up, her shoulder feeling empty in the absence of his hand.

    He strode towards the door, keying a code into the pinpad to allow Jason’s passage to the top floor. When the doors opened, Jason stood there, grinning, holding three bags. One of them with pink stripes, labeled VS on the side. Orion groaned.

Orion: “Jason, was that really necessary? I asked you to pick up a few basics, not . . . THAT . . .”

    The man laughed at his friend, stepping into the apartment.

Jason: “These are basics for whatever hottie you bagged! Bet she’s still got nothing on Becky, though . . . Do I get to see her? Hey, think she’d be able to get me in good with Becky?”

    Orion narrowed his eyes at Jason. Some days, he wondered why he put up with him . . . If Jason hadn’t been the first one he’d had contact with, he probably would’ve left him behind long ago. Well . . . It was that reason, and the fact that if things got serious, Jason was a good friend . . . It was just when things were easygoing that he got on Orion’s nerves.

Orion: “No, you don’t get to ‘see her’, and she will not be exploited for your uses to try and ‘get in good’ with anyone, especially Rebecca.”

    He said sternly, the bags still in Jason’s hands.

Orion: “Now, if you wouldn’t mind leaving-.”

Jason: “Oh no! I’ve gotta see what girl finally got you off that movie actress! And I’m not giving these up ‘till I do!”

    He jerked the bags away from Orion as he reached forward, causing a disapproving glare.

Orion: “Drop the bags and leave, Jason. You’ll be reimbursed fully.”

Jason: “I don’t care about that! Where is she? Did you get in her bed already? What kind of-.”

Jasmine: “Orion . . .”

    She stepped onto the small stairwell slowly, towel held tightly to her body, feeling incredibly exposed in the presence of the new man. She’d glimpsed him at the ranch, but that didn’t help now . . . Both of the men turned their heads to her and she bit her lip, shifting slightly. Jason grinned.

Jason: “You didn’t! You actually got that woman in your bed! You sly dog! You’ll have to teach me a few moves to use on Becky! They look pretty similar, huh? That’s the kind of girl you could be in bed with and fantasize about Becky! Think I could borrow her-.”

    Something in Orion snapped, and his fist came flush with the side of Jason’s face, sending the other man to the floor.

Orion: “Jason.”

    He growled dangerously.

Orion: “I strongly suggest you get a hold on your behavior before you consider talking to me again. I will not tolerate such comments about Jasmine or Rebecca. Now leave.”

    Jason grumbled, hand to his cheek as he stood, leaving the bags on the floor as he made his way back to the elevator, sending Orion a glare before the doors closed. The black-haired man sighed, glancing back to a silent Jasmine, blinking on the staircase.

Jasmine: “It’s a good thing you decked him . . .”

    She murmured, eyebrows creasing together. Orion raised a brow at her.

Orion: “Why’s that?”

Jasmine: “Because if you hadn’t, I would’ve torn him a new one . . . And not verbally, either . . .”