nine

Josh

I walked home in the morning slightly shivering because I made Aster keep my hoodie. We were going out for coffee and lunch later, but right now we both had some things to take care of. After I freshened up at home I headed straight for the tattoo parlor; today was the day the tattoo would be finished.
"Welcome back Josh." Jessica, the tattoo artist I had seen prior to getting my tattoo, greeted. "Ready to finish this thing up?"
"As ready as I'll ever be." I answered and followed her to the back where she had he station set up.
She laughed as she snapped on a pair of rubber gloves. "So tell me, what's going on?"
"What do you mean?"
"You can't just walk in here with that giant smile on your face and not have something to talk about." She explained while sanitizing my arm.
"Well, I met someone."
"No way! So you're seeing colors now? How are you enjoying it?" She asked eagerly as she loaded up her needle with a medium grey.
"Well, I can see certain colors." She gave me a confused look and urged me to continue as she started to tattoo. "I can only see yellow, brown and pink currently."
"So are you like, color blind or something?"
"No, I get that when you meet your soulmate you're supposed to see all of the colors very quickly, but for me and Aster it's slow. It's like falling in love slowly instead of all at once." I tried to explain.
"That's not very common, but it sounds like you're having a great time." She laughed. "What was your first color?"
"Yellow," I smiled at the memory. "I bought her flowers and they turned yellow and then she told me that my hair was yellow."
Jessica smiled, "That's cute, mine was red. It's my favorite color now."
"Aster says I can't choose a favorite if I don't know what the rest of the colors look like." I laughed.
"What does she know about color, you both can only see three." Jessica commented as she dipped the needle in more ink.
"Well, she's seen color before me."
"No way, your soulmate is that girl that everyone's talking about? The one who had her colors ripped from her?" Jessica's eyes widened.
"Uh, yeah?"
"You don't think she's maybe using you to see color?"
"I'm pretty sure that's not how it works Jess." I doubted.
"But what if, you know?"
I frowned at the thought, "I don't think that's Aster's intentions. She said she would love me without color."
Jess shrugged, "I guess, just be careful Josh."
The rest of the time she tattooed the ink into my arm was silent. I didn't want to even think about the possibility of Aster not loving me. I couldn't fathom the thought of her taking her color away from me.