six

Aster

It's been more than a week since I've seen Josh, but we both needed time to process our situation. I went to talk to my color therapist that I went to see when I lost color. She was just as clueless about the situation we were both in as we were.
I sat with my knees up to my chest on the love-seat in my living room. I stared at the yellow tulips that sat across the room, soaking in light from the window. Although we hadn't seen each other in days, the yellow hadn't faded at all, not even the slightest shade. The yellow kept me hopeful, maybe I would see more color with Josh, maybe I'd be stuck with yellow amongst the greys.
I was snapped out of my thoughts when a knock sounded through my quiet apartment. I stalked slowly over to the door. I wasn't really in the mood for company, I just wanted to be alone with my yellow, but I also didn't want to be rude.
I unlocked the door before pulling it open, and I was greeted by bright yellow again. "Josh," was all I could manage to say. I didn't know what else to say.
"Hi um, I know we said we'd leave each other alone until we were ready to talk about this, but I just. I don't know. I was thinking about how hard this could be for you especially after what you had just experienced and I didn't want you to feel down so-"
"Do you want to come in?" I cut off his nervous stammering.
"Yeah," he gave me his signature smile.
We went to go sit in the living room and I went to play some music over my speakers for background noise. "Sorry that it's so quiet, I was kind of having a moment before you knocked." I explained.
"Oh, I could leave if this is a bad time."
"Josh, it's okay."
He just nodded as I shuffled a random playlist quietly. "I brought some sweets, I didn't really know what was your favorite so I kinda bought a bunch. I thought maybe it would help you feel better." He said opening the plastic bag he brought and setting out different candies and cookies and ice cream on the coffee table.
I smiled, my heart fluttered from the kind gesture. I couldn't bring myself to say thank you, something just felt different. He glanced up at me to see my reaction and that's when I caught it. His eyes flashed with color as they widened and got squinty again as a grin was plastered across his face.
He walked over to me with his smile still glued to his face and took a strand of my hair into his hands. "What color is this?" He questioned.
"Brown." I whispered as I placed my hands on either side of his face to look deeper into his eyes. "Your eyes are brown."
"Your hair is brown." He replied.
I stared into his eyes probably longer than I should have. "Sorry," I said bit flustered, "I didn't mean to stare."
"It's okay." He smiled sweetly.
"Now I'm more confused." I groaned and flopped down on my couch. He sat down with a pack of oreos he bought and shrugged. "You seem to be oddly okay with this."
"What's there not to be okay with?" He asked as he popped a cookie into his mouth.
I flailed my arms around in gesture, "This!" I sighed, "If we were soulmates we wouldn't be seeing grey, but now we see yellow and brown for each other. It just doesn't make sense."
He shrugged, "I mean it could make sense." I glanced over at him with a confused look. "Maybe we're just falling in love." He stated bluntly.
I felt my face heat up, "That's not how it works Josh. You're supposed to get your soulmate and see colors for them and they get brighter and you see more shades everyday." I explained.
"Isn't that what's happening to us, just in a different way. We see a new color and we see more shades, it's just more one at a time." He said nonchalantly.
"Okay but why is it one at a time?" I questioned.
"I don't have all the answers to the universe." He chuckled.
"How are you so calm and okay with this?" I was honestly confused with how he was taking this.
"Well, I'm going through it with my future soulmate, and that makes it easier." He grinned. I felt my face heat up again. "Your cheeks are pink." He stated.
"Yours are too."