five

Aster

I groggily rubbed my eyes and squinted at the clock on the wall. It was 10:30 in the morning, I let out a sigh, glad that I didn't have to work for another week. I got a break to spend time "grieving" or what I like to call, time to realize I'm gonna live a grey life for the rest of time.
I looked up to notice that I fell asleep on Josh, I felt bad for how uncomfortable he looked, but decided to let him keep sleeping. I stood up and shuffled towards the window, squinting outside. It was a bright day that would be even more beautiful with some color. I stretched and glanced over at the pot of flowers that Josh had brought for me.
My heart leaped and I swore I saw a flash of color, I swear it. My eyes widened and my sleepiness washed away quickly as I pulled up a chair to the small table and watched the pot intently. I saw something, and I wasn't going to let it slip again.
I heard Josh shuffle and yawn, so I assumed he was awake, but I was persistent to not take my eyes off of these flowers.
"Hey, what are you doing?" He asked in his morning voice.
I didn't move my eyes at all, but I decided to answer. "I might be crazy, but I swear I saw color." He didn't reply and silence fell over the room. He thought I was crazy, but I wasn't moving till I saw it again.
I heard him take steps closer and then it happened. The tips of the grey petals slowly faded into a warm and inviting yellow. "Josh!" I nearly screeched, "Do you see it? The flowers they're-"
He was staring at me wide eyed, even though he had just woken up a few minutes prior. We were both stuck in our tracks as I stared at the top of his messy bed head.
"Yellow." Was all he said. I couldn't speak, it was like all forces were pushing against my jaw, stopping me from making even a squeak.
He gently took my hand and motioned towards my sweater. "Is this," he paused, "Is this yellow?" He asked referencing my sweater.
I was wearing a yellow sweater.
"Your hair is yellow." I said bluntly.
"Your sweater is yellow." He responded.
"The flowers are yellow." We said in unison.
I sunk down to the floor, taking it in. Why was I only seeing yellow? When you find your soulmate you're supposed to gain all colors in the course of at most thirty minutes, but now it's been ten and all that stands out is the bright yellow of my sweater and his hair and the flowers against the greys.
He sat down across from me. "Is this what it's supposed to be like?" He asked, genuinely confused.
I shook my head, "We should see more than yellow by now."
"Then what is this? Are we soulmates or not?" He asked taking hold of one of my shaking hands.
"I don't know Josh. I don't know."