prologue

I sat on the burgundy couch in our colorful home that was slowly becoming duller and duller. The tears stinging my eyes making the colors smudge together with the ones that had already dissipated back into a boring grey. The click of the lock on the door snapped me out of my state as my teary eyes greeted Daniel.
"Aster, what's wrong?" He rushed over dropping everything.
"Do you still see color for me?" I asked desperately. He grew quiet very quickly, chewing on his bottom lip like he did every time he was hiding something. "Tell me what you're hiding Danny! Everything is fading and everything is just so painful and you're taking my colors away from me! Do you not love me anymore?"
He sighed and took my hand which I quickly ripped away from him. "Aster, I've started seeing colors for somebody else. I didn't tell you because I didn't want this to happen. I knew it wasn't right, I was going to break things off with her."
My heart dropped and the colors began to fade rapidly now. The green eyes that I came to love was the last amount of color I saw before everything was grey like before.
"I want you to leave." I spoke softly.
"What?" He asked sounding surprised.
I pinched my eyes shut, "I want you to leave!" I shouted. "Leave and never come back! We weren't meant to be and it'll only hurt me to see you in grey!"
"Aster please, we can fix this."
"No, we can't, it wasn't meant to be. Please just leave me alone." I begged.
He was quiet, I could tell he had the familiar look of concern across his face but I kept my eyes screwed shut. After a few minutes I heard him leave to pack up his things.
"I really did love you Aster."
"I loved you too."