seven

Aster

Josh and I ended up sitting on opposite sides of the couch watching movies and eating the junk food he brought over. I wasn't paying much attention to whatever was playing on the tv, I was staring deeply into a pink blanket that was draped over a table next to it. Pink was always a nice color, it was sweet and innocent and warming, I would say it was one of my top five colors. I decided I was cold and decided to get up and grab the blanket.
"You alright?" Josh asked as he noticed my sudden movement.
"Yeah," I nodded as I sat back down with the blanket, "Just kinda cold."
"Here," he pulled off his hoodie and handed it to me.
I blushed and pulled the warm clothing over my body, "Thanks." I squinted through the darkness to his arm. "Wait, since when did you get a tattoo?"
"Oh, like two days ago. It's not finished yet, I'm getting it finished tomorrow." He smiled.
"And you got it in color?" I asked examining his skin that was slightly raised from irritation. He nodded in response. "Josh, you can't even see all of the colors yet! What if you end up hating it?" I asked worriedly as I examined the outlines and shades of grey and faint color that were already permanently etched into his skin. I could guess which colors went where, and honestly it was a beautiful work of art, even better in full color.
"I planned on getting this before we even saw yellow," he shrugged, "I don't know. I hope I don't regret it. I wanted to get it so that when I could see color I could learn more things about myself with the person I love."
I smiled at his explanation. "I love it," I admitted as I traced the windy tree up his arm.
"Then I'm sure I won't regret it." He gave me his signature squinty eyed smile that made my heart flutter every time.
That's when I realized I was falling in love with him. I loved everything about him, with or without color I would be happy with him. The way he smiled, the warmth and love in his touch, the way he cares for others, the way he experiences life, the sound of his voice, the sound of his laugh, his love for sweets (especially oreos), his childish personality, his passion for music and drumming, just everything about him was perfect. I no longer envied the happy couples who saw color and lived happily ever after, because I got to fall in love with Joshua William Dun. We were different, in a beautiful way.
"What's on you mind?" He asked after I had been staring into space for a while.
I shook my head and stopped myself from letting happy tears fall, "I think I'm falling in love with you."
I watched as his beautiful brown eyes scrunched up and his wide smile grew, "I know I'm falling in love with you."
I blushed and bit down on my lip, trying to contain my rapidly beating heart from bursting out of the confinements of my rib cage. My attempts were brushed aside as Josh pulled me into his lap, wrapping his strong arms around me and resting his stubbled face in the crook of my neck. His warm breath tickled my skin, but I enjoyed the warmth and love radiating from his body. I melted into the embrace and we sat there in silence for a while, completely forgetting about the images flashing on the tv screen.
I watched as his thumb rubbed over my hand that was interlocked with his subconsciously. "Josh?"
"Hm?" He hummed peacefully against my neck. I felt his low voice vibrate through me.
"Do you wanna spend the night?" I asked. I had no secret intentions, I just really enjoyed his company.
"Only if you'll go on a date with me tomorrow." He smiled against my skin.
I felt my cheeks heat up, "Deal."