Chapter 37

The last night that Lucas was spending in Megan's dorm arrived. They ate takeout food, talked for a bit and went to sleep.

In those few minutes of talking Megan managed to gear Lucas up for their approaching exams and even hinted at her curiosity about Zach's disappearance. Lucas had promised her that he would find out about him. It was hard to admit but she would miss Lucas when he will be gone.

They fell asleep happily. It was their last night as pseudo-roomates.

The next morning they woke up to banging on their door.

"What is it Summer?" Megan opened the door groggily but she was wide awake when she saw that the three people on the door weren't mildly looking like her friend.

"How can I help you?" Megan asked formally and motioned for Lucas to clear out and stay back inconspicuously.

"We have it on good source that you have been harboring a male student, unlicensed, in the female dormitory for a few weeks now" the man said and Megan's heart plummeted. Everything went smoothly for weeks but the last night together and shit goes down.

"Not a few weeks, sir. Just a few days because he canceled his dorm license due to a disagreeable roommate and was searching for an apartment. Infact he has found an apartment and is moving there tomorrow" Megan couldn't help but mix the truth with a few lies. Lucas had been staying with her a few weeks now but he was leaving. She could not threaten Summer's accommodation either.

"In that case, if the authorities would have been informed and you had a written permission letter, we would have pardoned you but we reserve the right to revoke the housing facility of any occupant and we hereby terminate yours" the man said monotonously.

"What?" Megan whispered shocked.

"You can't do this. I will pay for the days I was here" Lucas suddenly appeared in the doorway.

"Nothing you can do about this anymore" the man said fakely remorseful.

"How much time do you give me to vacate?" Megan asked in a controlled voice.

"By the end of the day"

"Okay, I will be out by then. Thank you"

After receiving a termination letter and sending them off, Megan shut the door and broke down. She slid by the door and sobbed.

"I have no where to go" Megan said between sobs.

"You can live with me" Lucas said holding her.

"No, I could not. It would be such an invasion of privacy. I will not impose on you" she immediately refused.

"You lost the dorm because of me. I can host you for however long you want" Lucas told her.

"Are you sure? I promise I will get a job and I will get out of your home ASAP" she swore. 

"However long you want to" he repeated.

"Okay" she said hesitantly.

She called Summer to let her know about her eviction and then laughed when Summer had a lot to say about the one who gave the tip.

They all missed their classes. The three of them packed all her stuff in boxes. It wasn't much. She had two boxes of unpacked novels, and two boxes of textbooks. The rest were her clothes and other miscellaneous items.

"I am going to miss you" Summer told her after they had loaded her and Lucas's cars.

"We will still meet all the time" Megan reassured her.

"Best roommate ever. I love you, Megan" Summer hugged her.

"I love you, Summer. You are the best" Megan told her. She willed herself not to cry. After a few more minutes of saying goodbye, she got into her car and drove after Lucas.

**********

They got into the apartment, the first thing to do was to fill the bookshelf with books. Then they left the other boxes there unpacked and left to buy groceries, bedsheets, utensils and all the other stuff needed for the apartment.

"I will cook something. You go freshen up" Megan told Lucas after they returned from shopping.

"You sure?"

"Yeah. Spaghetti okay?"

"Anything. I am starving. We can order takeout if you want to rest" Lucas offered genuinely.

"No, I will cook. I like it"

After a plain dinner, they cleaned up and unpacked a few of Lucas's boxes.

"We should sleep now" Lucas said stretching.

"You go ahead. I will just go freshen up and I will sleep then" Megan told him.

"Do you want me to stay up and wait for you?"

"No, thank you"

She took out her night clothes from her back and went towards the bathroom.

"Listen?" she called out.

"Yeah"

"Take the bed" she said an shut the door finalizing her statement. She was not going to take advantage of Lucas's kindness.

After she came out she saw that he had listened to her and she could see him asleep on the bed. He had left one half of the bed for her if she wanted to sleep there. He had gone as far as to create a partition in between the two halves with pillows so she would feel better. She smiled at the gesture. He had also left a blanket and pillow on the couch if she decided to sleep there. He was so sweet and lately his smiles were a constant source of a tingling sensation in her stomach. She knew that feeling but she knew that nothing was possible between them. And now that they lived together, she would have to be even more careful.

She pulled out the newspaper that she had bought from the vendor near the store and started to find a job. She found four waitress openings and she decided to apply there the next day after classes.

She wrapped up all the stuff, fluffed her pillow and lay down on the couch to sleep. She couldn't sleep there, it was so cold even after the thermostat being at a comfortable temperature. The couch was not comfortable enough for her. After a  few hours of trying to sleep she gathered courage and climbed into the bed. She made sure to sleep on the edge but the bed was so comfortable that she immediately fell asleep.

**********

Hey, how is it going?

Comment, vote and share.

Love,
Adrianna <3