Chapter 14

On reaching home, Megan fixed her hair and clothes to the best of her ability and stepped out of the car to see Aaron paying the cab driver. He smiled at her as she caught his eyes and she ducked her head blushing.

"Mom" Megan squealed and jumped into her mother's arms as soon as she saw her standing by the gate waiting for her.

"Megan! Happy birthday, honey" her mom hugged her tighter. It had been a month and a half since she had seen her. She was a beautiful woman for her age. She had dark brown hair and brown eyes making Aaron wonder how Megan was a typical blonde. After a lot of hugging between the mother and daughter, Kat stepped out of the house.

"Meg! Happy birthday" she screamed as she saw her sister. Aaron was skeptical of the family having a problem of screaming when excited. Aaron saw the similarities between them. They both had blonde hair and blue eyes making him wonder if they both took their father's traits.

"Kat" Megan whispered and hugged her sister with watery eyes. Aaron looked away. It was a private moment between the family and he didn't want to intrude.

"Who is your friend here, baby?" Megan's mother asked.

"I am Aaron. It's nice to meet you ma'am. I see where Megan gets her beauty from" Aaron said smiling and put forward his hand for her to shake. He had managed to compliment both of them smoothly. Megan could see her mother falling for his charm just like she had.

"He is smooth" Kat whispered to her sister looking at the exchange and Megan shrugged.

"Please don't call me ma'am, Aaron. It makes me feel older. Call me Lynn" her mother replied shaking his hand.

"All right Lynn" Aaron smiled.

"I am Katrina, Megan's sister" Kat rushed forward to meet her sister's friend which she doubted was just a friend.

"I am Aaron. It's nice to meet you" Aaron told her and offered her his hand to shake as well.

"Same here" Kat shook his hand and smiled at him then she turned to Megan and gave her an approving look which made Megan blush but she managed to glare at Kat.

"Come in both of you. You must be tired from the flight" Lynn ushered them in the house much to Megan's relief.

Aaron was immediately hit by a nostalgic feeling. A heavenly scent of food and cake reached him, the cosy atmosphere around making him remember his home in Ohio, his mother, his friends and Juliet.

"Summer couldn't come. She had to go to Florida for a family emergency" Megan's voice snapped him back to reality.

"Oh, that's awful. I would have loved to meet her" Lynn said and scowled.

"I will bring her the next time" Megan said and Lynn nodded.

"I will get some snacks for you. Aaron, would you like coffee or soda?"

"Soda would be great. California is so warm"

"A complete contrast to New York" Megan said.

"Meg, Steve is wondering when he could drop by" Kat put her hand on her phone's microphone and asked her sister.

"Dinner would be ideal" Megan replied and Kat exited the room to continue with her call.

"Who is Steve?" Aaron asked Megan a wave of jealousy running through him. If he was a guy in Megan's life here, Aaron would make sure he runs away before he comes near her again.

"Her boyfriend. She wanted me to meet him. Something about seeing if he deserves her or not" Megan said but didn't meet his eyes.

"Or maybe you wanted to meet him and wanted to see if he deserves her or not?" Aaron guessed and the look on her face told him he was right.