Chapter 26- The Beginning and the End

I had a boy and a girl.

Nick and Elizabeth. Nick was his favorite boy's name. Elizabeth was my favorite girl's name.

They were beautiful. The most beautiful babies I have ever seen, and they belong to me and Jerry. 

But he missed it. Turns out that he got into an accident because some guy was speeding away from the cops and instead of stopping at the red light, he went right through it, crashing into Jerry's car at 105 miles per hour. He was three minutes away from the restaurant, and he would have made it. This one man, changed my life, my kids' lives, our families' lives...

He is still connected to the machines, and I sit there at his bedside, awaiting for him to wake. I gave birth in the room next door, hoping that by some miracle he would wake up; even for just a minute, just to see his children for the first time.

When the doctor searched his pockets for identification he found a ring in his pocket. It was a Tiffany engagement ring. The doctor gave it to me, and when he walked out of the room, I whispered in Jerry's ear, "Yes. Because I want to spend the rest of my life with you. I want to make a beautiful family with you. I want you. I love you." And kissed him right on the mouth, and some part of me felt the slightest, smallest force back against my lips, as if he was kissing me too.

I wear the ring everyday and go to the hospital at least once a day, even if it's just for five minutes. Someday, he will wake up. Someday he is going to see the three of us and smile. Someday he is going to put the ring on my finger after I walk down some isle, maybe even on the beach. Someday he is going to hold his babies for the first times and kiss them on the forehead. Because each night  after I put them in their cribs, I give them a kiss from mommy, and then a kiss from daddy. But inside, it kills me because I can't have him do it himself.

Jerry has helped me through my life, and nothing can take away the sincerity or the loving manner of such a man. He has given me my life back after I didn't know how to live. He had taught me that it's okay to suffer for a little while, and it's okay to cry because it let's your emotions out and shows other people that you care.

But more importantly, that man taught me how to love the only way he knew how: he loved me with all his heart and never went against his word. 

Some say that there is a never ending sadness in life that will always stay in the back of our minds, but as much that I have gone through, I am still painting my life's canvas with my pastels. And Jerry gave me those paints. I can never really repay him for all that he is done for me, but the best thing he taught me to do that I will teach our children until I can no longer teach them another lesson in my life: to love.