Chapter 18- Running Away

It then hit me. 

I was sitting at work when I saw a young couple, about my age, walk in. He had his arm around her as they looked at a painting I had just restored last week, it was a Renoir. Renoir, being my favorite French impressionist. 

"It's beautiful, this is the painting. Look at how well he captured her figure, and look at the radiance of her face." She said with admiration in her voice. 

"Sure, it's beautiful," He looked at her face, "But I know something better." He said quieter.

She smiled, but it wasn't just her lips that showed, but her entire face lit up. Her eyes showed life as her face was soft with love. Was this what I wanted? Wasn't this what everyone wanted? No, I wanted this now.

I had to go. I had to see him. I had to do it.

Before I knew it I had felt an adreniline rush throughout my entire body. I leaped up and headed for the door...

                                                      ***********************************
 In my head, I knew this was crazy. But in my heart, it was just right.

I was outside his work building and I took a breath before I walked inside. 

This was the only thing left on my mind. I knew what I wanted now. I knew that I wanted this. I didn't feel the memories as I walked into the elevator and pressed number 11 to his floor. Nothing but his face did I see when I the doors opened. 

I walked up to the secretay's desk and asked for him. 

She recognized me and said he was in his office.

"Thank you!" As I was already on my way. I didn't hesitate when I turned the door handle and already started to walk inside.

He looked up at me with a face that I couldn't quite read. Then I noticed his entire office was empty but for a few boxes. I looked around the room before I looked back at him.

"What are you doing?" I asked quietly as I shut the door.

"Packing." He said as he looked back at the box he was packing up and started to rummage through things.

"Why?" I asked, scared.

"Uh, I'm leaving." He ran his hand through his hair.

"Where? To another place? Are you starting your own-"

"No. I'm going to New York." He stopped me.

"What?" I stuttered, "You're going to New York?"

"Yeah, I got offered a job there, and I took it." He said blankly.

I felt the color drown out from my face. 

"But... What about here in Boston? What about things here..."

He cut me off, "Like what, Alexa? There is nothing here for me anymore." 

"You have me." I said quietly as I looked down at the ground and fidgeted with my feet.

"You?" He gave a sarcastic humph, "No, Alexa. I never had you." 

He picked up his boxes and pushed past me, out the door. 

It was hard not to cry as I looked out the window that overlooked the street. I saw him walk out a few minutes later and start heading out, but then he stopped. He turned around and looked at the building and started to walk towards it again. But he stopped himself and my heart sank back down. He turned back around and walked away.