Chapter 17- First Kisses

• Dedicated to Kaylyn

After my mom left the next week, I realized what I had to do.

I didn't like it all that much, but I knew what I had to do.

I walked into my bedroom and stood in front of the pictures. 

Inhale.

Exhale.

Breath, that was key.

I step towards Derek's picture in his military outfit. His sturdy bone structure, his short brown hair, his eyes, starring back at me. 

Memories had flooded into my mind as I stared into his eyes. So many times, I have done this, just not with his eyes on paper, but his real eyes. So many times did I touch that face, so many times did I kiss those lips. 

That first kiss...

It was our second date, and I was thrilled that he asked me out again. 

We were walking around town after we had dinner and walked to the park.

We walked to the swings and as he sat down on the chair swing I rung around the pole as I looked up to the night sky.

I realized nobody was there and it was completely silent except for the cars passing by on the street and the crickets. I looked back to him and he wore a small smile and I smiled back. I walked over to his swing and grabbed both sides of the chains and looked him in the eyes.

"Tell me a secret." I whispered.

He stroked my cheek with the palm of his hand, "You're so beautiful." he whispered back.

I couldn't help but smile because then he pulled my face down to him and he reached up and then stopped.

The anticipation only lasted a second because I closed my eyes and moved in.

Our lips touched and it was like a moment of weakness for me. In that second, he stood and wrapped his arm around my waist and hand landed on the back of my neck. Our lips were moving in sync and I don't think my heart could pound anymore than it was. I reached up and one of my hands went on the side of his neck and the touched his upper arm. Butterflies started to swirl in my stomach as he put both arms wrapped around my waist and lifted me up. He spun me in a circle and my mouth smiled in the kiss. He still held me up as I parted our lips.

He smiled at me and put me back down.

I breathed and he put his arms around my waist again, "You're going to be the death of me." He whispered in my ear and my butterflies soured to my throat...

.... I opened my eyes and did not cry because I missed him, did not pass out from such a flashback, I cried because that was where it all started and it all ended and the real sad but true thing of it all, I was the death of him.