Chapter thirteen; The Finest Step

Ty looked at Amy. His phone was dialing and no answer had picked up yet.
"Amy," he said slowly. "What do you mean something is wrong?"
"I can't lay in bed. I have to sit up or walk it off." Amy cried.
"Amy answer me! What's wrong?" Ty grabbed her shoulders.
Amy stared at Ty looking frightened.
"Amy please. Tell me." Ty looked at her.
"Ty," Amy said. "It feels like my stomach is tightening tighter...and tighter...and...ahh!" Amy hunched over the side of the bed.
"Amy!" Ty grabbed her before she fell off the side of the bed.
"Ty this doesn't feel normal. I've had Braxton hicks before. Nothing like this-ahah!" Amy cried out.
"It's okay its okay. Im going to call again." Ty grabbed his phone.
It seemed like no one was going to answer again. But to Ty's wondering eyes, someone answered.
"Yes hello?" Ty said pacing. "Hi I need a house call. I need an obstetrician for my wife. Yes she's pregnant. She has really bad cramping and she can't move. I can't even move her without her screaming." Ty had a worried tone. "Yes could you send doctor Behan? Yes that's her obstetrician. Okay. Okay thank you. Yes its Heartland Ranch in Hudson. Alright. Okay thank you. Bye."
Ty ended the call.
"What...what did she say?" Amy panted.
"She told me that the doctor is on the way. It should take a good thirty minutes. For now she said you need to breathe. Okay so I'm going to pick you up and set you on the couch sitting up. I'll sit behind you rubbing you're back as I help you breathe," Ty said.
Amy nodded with a worn out look on her face.
"You ready?" Ty asked holding her hand.
"Y...yes." Amy said.
Ty had Amy wrap her arm around his back. He put his left arm under her back. His right arm went under her legs as he went to lift her.
Amy cried out in pain, squeezing her side.
"It's okay. We're almost there." Ty said kissing her forehead.
He then set her down on the couch sitting up.
"Ow!" Amy whispered.
"Okay. Now I'm going to breathe at the same pace alright?" Ty said sitting down behind her then started to rub her back. "Shhh. Its alright. Ready?" Ty started to breathe in as Amy started to do the same.
"Its hurts to breathe." Amy said.
"I know I know. You got to breathe it off hun." Ty said.
They continued to breathe as Amy cringed in more pain. Poor Ty. He had no idea what to tell her. He just continued to rub her back and kiss her neck. What were they going to do?

    Back at the clinic, Cass was getting used to the new assistant, Caitlin. She was tall, a ginger, with bright blue eyes.
"So," Cass started going through Caitlin's file. "How long have you been an assistant?"
"Um actually this is my first clinic to be working at." Caitlin said.
"I see," Cass rolled her eyes. "What's you're year?"
"I am in the middle of my second year in vet school." She replied.
"Oh so this is you're sixth year in all?" Cass asked.
Caitlin nodded.
"Okay," Cass sighed grabbing a clipboard. "So here's the schedule for the day. Boss' orders." Cass smirked.
"Oh okay um, should I..what do I do first? Its my first day," Caitlin reminded Cass.
"Yeah I know I know. Ty should have been here but he said something was urgent and you came early so, I guess im you're boss for now." Cass snapped.
"Oh alright. What should I do first?" She asked.
Cass pointed to the first thing on the list then walked away.
"Wha...o...Kay..." Caitlin sighed.

      Georgie was in the barn trying to give Copper his feed.
"C'mon boy! You have to eat. Please?" Georgie held out the bucket.
Copper just snorted and backed up in the stall.
Georgie sighed and placed the bucket on the floor of the barn.
"What's wrong boy?" Georgie opened the stall door. "It's okay. Shh." Georgie slowly walked up to Copper.
He snorted and reared towards Georgie.
She quickly threw herself back out of the stall and slammed the door shut.
"You don't want help? Fine by me." Georgie huffed.
Georgie turned to the loft stairs. She heard sounds. Weird sounds. Like yelling. Painful yelling. It sounds like...Amy! Georgie ran to the stairs and peeked up in the loft to find Amy panting, out of breath leaning onto Ty with her eyes closed.
"Oh my gosh. I...I heard screaming is everything okay?" Georgie panted.
"Georgie there should be a doctor coming any minute I need you to keep an eye out for him outside. Can you do that for me?" Ty asked.
Georgie nodded then ran back downstairs to watch for a car to pull up next to the house. She was really worried for Amy even if she had no clue what was going on.