CHAPTER 57

'Hello' Riad says politely. I smile nervously at him from behind Adnan.

'Hello' Adnan replies, he steps aside letting Riad enter. He forwards the whiskey bottle to Adnan, he mutters thanks and takes the bottle. I smile at Riad as he forwards me the bouquet but Adnan steps in and takes it instead. Uff ho! Adnan and is protective possessive brother mode.

Adnan calls Vimala she hurries from the kitchen adjusting her Pallu. She looks at Riad and blushes slightly. Adnan hands her the bottle and bouquet and asks her to keep the bottle in kitchen and bouquet in the flower vase in the living room. She nods her head and takes them disappearing into the kitchen. Adnan looks at Riad, I can sense awkwardness between them. It is natural I presume, the breaking the ice between them will be little difficult. Fifteen years is a long time. Riad looks around the place as Adnan walks front of us leading us to the dining room. I smile at Riad, I brushed my arm with his and he looks surprised. I raised my eyebrows silently asking him how is the place. I have done so much hard-work I need some appreciation. He smiles at me nodding his head and I blush.

Adnan takes his seat at the head of the house seat in the middle, Riad to his right and I opposite Riad. I smirk, I can put my V-neck and cleavage enhancer to use. We sit in silence as Vimala prepares the dinner to be served. I look at Riad, he is looking down at the table and Adnan too. Riad and Adnan acts like twins at times, no wonder they were inseparable. The silence is unbearable so I decided to intervene

'So, Riad how is everybody at home' I blurt out and then bit my tongue. Adnan head shots up and he looks at Riad with full attention. Riad nods his head. I glanced at Adnan, he shifts little in his seat.

There is silence again, 'How is preparations for Liqa's marriage going?' Riad says and I mentally kicked myself. Shit! Adnan doesn't know about Liqa and Riad being related. I could feel Adnan's gaze on me. I nodded my head mumbling a "good"

'Aleesa, you are working for Riad?' Adnan says and I look at him nervously. Adnan is looking keenly at me.

'Liqa...she is Riad's cousin' I say. Adnan doesn't say anything but simply looks away. I know after Riad is gone, his question and answer round will start. I look at Riad who is having a did-I-say-something-wrong look. I smile shaking my head slightly.

Silence again...

Five minutes later, Vimala begins to arrange food on the table.

'So, how is Aleesa's work?' Adnan says suddenly, both I and Riad are surprised. Riad smiles and compliments my work. I placed palm over my forehead as Riad mentioned about Lakshadweep but before he could start on the farm house I interrupted them and asked them to have dinner. We ate in silence.

After Dinner, we sit in the living room. Vimala is in the kitchen getting desert ready to be served. I am sitting on the single sofa next to the double sofa where Adnan and Riad are seated. This time I don't dare interrupt the silence. Soon, Vimala comes with the desert. Riad smiles taking the bowl from Vimala and complimented her cooking. She blushes. We ate in silence, all the while I kept nervously glancing from Adnan to Riad and back again. Ten minutes after we had our desert Riad glances at his watch

'It's getting late, I guess I should take your leave' he says. Adnan nods his head; I stand as the two men stand.

'Riad...'Adnan says as we stand at the door. Riad turns around and looks at Adnan

'Thanks for yesterday' he says

Riad smiles and places his palm on Adnan's shoulder 'I would have done this for anyone' he says my heart skips a beat when he looks at me, I see his eyes twinkle as though saying I am special.

Adnan smiles 'So, hopefully we will meet again' Adnan says. I smile looking at them warming up. But my smile fades when Riad says 'Come to Liqa's wedding 15th of this month'. Adnan looks little disappointed but I am relieved when he says '15th won't be possible'

Riad nods his head, he then suggests if it is possible he can come to Liqa's reception on 18th. Adnan thinks for few seconds before nodding his head 'I will try'

Riad nods his head, I find my eyes getting moist when the men side hugged each other. Riad bids his good byes and leaves. Adnan locks the door; I go to the living room to clear the table. I frown on seeing a silver IPhone on the table. This doesn't look like Adnan's phone. I clicked on the home button and a sixteen-year-old Aleesa pops up on the screen as screen-lock and my heart flutters. This is Riad's phone.

Adnan comes to the living room and I say him that Riad has left his phone, Adnan says he will return the phone Riad must not have gone far. But I insisted that I will return it to him, I wanted to talk to Riad privately. Adnan hesitantly agreed, I rushed before Adnan could change his mind.

I come out at the lawn I see the gate closed. I hurried out from the gate, Riad is walking towards his car that he has parked few distances away from our gate.

'Riad' I called. He turns around. I huffed as I take fast steps towards him. I stopped in front of his car, I placed my palm on my heavying chest to calm my breath.

'Are you alright?' he asks looking at me concerned. I nod 'You forgot your phone' I say forwarding him his phone. He thanks me and takes the phone, he expected me to leave but I stand there

'Riad, what are you doing?' I say and he looks at me confused. I pause for a while, he doesn't get what I am trying to say so I go on

'You are getting married to Hanan next month...but this... (I take his phone and click on the home button, I show it to him) clearly you haven't moved on...then why are you getting married? isn't it unfair to Hanan?' I say

I see him stiffen, 'None of your business' he says turning around he is about to get into the car when I held his arm 'it is...because my life is involved in this too' I say feeling slightly annoyed.

'I love Hanan...I didn't have time to change the wallpaper' he lies bluntly. I shake my head in disbelief.

'If you did, why weren't you happy at the engagement?' I ask straight way. He stands there speechless for a while before saying bitterly 'I was thinking about work' he lies once again. I open my mouth to counter that when I heard Adnan call out my name. I looked at Riad sharply before turning around and walking away. I could feel his gaze on me, had if Adnan not come I might have made Riad say the truth.