CHAPTER 55

'Riad...leave him.' I say holding his arm and trying to separate them. Saxena places his hand over Riad's and tried to free himself but Riad's grip tightened

'How dare you...'Saxena says struggling to be free, seeing Riad's murderously glare at Saxena I panicked.

Riad jerks his collar free and Saxena stumbles free steps back. He stares at us before storming out. Riad and I watch him leave. Riad then turns to me

'Are you alright?' he asks. I nod my head. I am so relieved and to show my gratitude I hugged him tight. Seconds later I find his arms wrapping around me. I close my eyes feeling secure.

'Hey!'

We break apart and turn around. My eyes widen and I felt Riad stiffen beside me. Saxena is standing at the end of the corridor and with him is Adnan. Shit!

'See, Adnan that man he was misbehaving with your sister' Saxena says shamelessly

Suddenly that night up at the terrace fifteen years ago came flashing before my eyes. I see the same anger in Adnan's eyes that I had seen all those years ago. His fingers clenched tightly.

I feel like I am reliving that night once again, it's like I am being transported back into the past. The saying, history repeats itself, has proven to be true tonight.

Adan charges towards us 'Stay away from my sister, you rascal', his gaze fixed on Riad. But this time, unlike last time, I stepped in. I stand in between Riad and my brother with my arms spread

Adnan stops in his tracks and looks at me surprised. 'Bhai...it's nothing like what you are thinking...this man (I point at Saxena) he was ...forcing himself on me...but Riad...he saved me' I clarified.

Adnan looks stunned. Saxena gulps and rushed away.

'Bhai...' I extend my hand and held Adnan's hand, he is looking at Riad, his expression softening. He then looks at me, 'Are you fine? Did that man hurt you?' he asks holding my shoulder and looking at me, checking if I am hurt. I shake my head and hugged my brother, he hugs me back.

'I am fine...' I say

Riad is about to leave when Adnan calls him. I separate our frames and glance nervously from my brother to Riad and then back again, in case a fight or argument happens I will step in. This time I will stand by Riad.

'Thanks...'Adnan says and I surprised. And I even more shocked when Riad smiles slightly nodding his head and Adnan smiles too.

That night, I couldn't sleep I kept replaying today's event. For the first time in fifteen years Adnan and Riad shared a smile. I wondered if I can restart their friendship, what if they become friends again? but will Adnan or Riad forget that night, fifteen years ago? How will Adnan react when he will know I am working for Liqa who is Riad's cousin? How will he react on meeting Urooj? I kept tossing and turning on my bed and eventually slept off.

*

Next morning, I and Adnan are having breakfast in silence. I am having oats (I simply can't have the butter coated toast Vimala is making) Adnan seems to be normal, but then you never know, over the years Adnan has become master in masking his feelings, he keeps all his inner-turmoil buried inside him.

'Bhai...' I begin cautiously. He nods his head not looking me but munching on the scrambled eggs in his plate.

'Last night...had it not been for Riad (Adnan freezes, his spoon mid-way towards his mouth) I am thinking...of inviting him for dinner tonight...as gesture of gratitude' I say softly. Adnan places his spoon down; he stands up startling Vimala and I gulp.

'9pm...give the list to Vimala' he says not looking at me and then leaves. Vimala nods her head. My heart does a happy dance. The dinner tonight will be first step towards rebuilding their lost friendship.