⤖ chapter forty

yh, we're already at 40 chapters

Frozen

Frozen.

Stupefied on her feet, drained out eyes drawn to the person she least wanted to see. Heejung felt numb as she felt a hand flatten on her back, it being the only support she could have at that moment.

"Bunny..."

Her fingers coiled as the figure of her mother stood up, the chair raking against the floor, her mother's arms spread wide as if the girl would run to her, yearning for her mother's touch, which was the exact opposite of what Heejung felt.

A sense of betrayal washed over her eyes as she looked behind to Sehun. Their pupils met and when Sehun saw this in her eyes, he felt as if his knees would betray him. Wanting to run away.

"You came just in time, guys," Sehun's mother spoke, oblivious of the thick atmosphere that radiated inside the private room they rented just for this dinner.

"It's a surprise you even came." His father said next, standing from their seated figure, welcoming the pair who seemed to have a building tension between them.

"Take a seat, take a seat." Chohee ushered but the two stood unmoved on their spot, with Heejung staring dead at Sehun who wearily averted his gaze.

"Is there something wrong?" Noticing the pair's exchanges of glances, Chohee asked in concern.

"No, it's perfect," Heejung replied with a scoff before she turned her heel.

"Heejung!" Her father called, about to leave the table and run after her but Sehun waved his hand off at the older, telling him he's got everything under control when clearly, he doesn't.

Ayeong and her husband shared uneasy gazes but stayed behind, not wanting Heejung to lash out even more, and let Sehun handle it.

"Heejung-a."

Sehun tried calling her name multiple times through the restaurant. He made sure his mask was up to his nose, not wanting to draw unnecessary attention but him calling out her name did not help ease the situation as the people who were peacefully enjoying their meal on their separate tables, looked over them.

Hissing in irritation of what he brought to themselves, Sehun sprinted towards Heejung's statue that's walking out of the restaurant in a fast pace.

"Heejung-a, please..."

The lass stopped before finding her way to the parking lot where Sehun parked his car, but a curse erupted from her lips at her realization that she doesn't have the keys to the car.