⤖ chapter thirty-three

"You really thought I was going to jump off the balcony?"

An amused titter erupted from her lips as she grabbed a bite of her burger, her legs crossed. Heejung was seated opposite Sehun who lazily shut his lids to somehow hide the embarrassment he brought to himself when he confessed his thoughts just a while ago when everything was still so much to gather.

"You can't blame me, woman. You were standing on edge," he protested, a displeased frown forming on his lips that only caused Heejung to get even more entertained. "Looked dangerous to me."

"Aw, you're adorable."

"I'd prefer sexy."

Heejung winced at his retort, narrowing her eyes at the idol who proudly smirked towards her.

"Don't you think it's a bit unfair?" She said, her eyes gazing past his figure, to the plants behind him.

"Being sexy? It's hard to say—"

"This situation we're in—this arranged marriage." She deadpanned, not having his random cockiness.

"A bit, you say?" Sehun scoffed a chuckle, rolling his eyes as he leaned back, releasing a deep sigh. Flickering his pupils focus on the girl in front of him, all ears. "It's a whole level of unfair."

"Is this also what happened to your brother?"

A pause.

"My brother's ingenious. Before my father could even announce his plans for my brother after he graduated, my brother left."

"Is that why your father's so mad at him?"

"My father's mad at him because he can't control my brother. Now that's something I'm not," he chuckled, but Heejung sensed a taste of bitterness run along with it.

"But you want to do the same thing, right?" The lass bored her eyes on him, trying to read his expression that stayed stoic. A half smile crept on his lips in which made her puzzled.

"My mother begged me to stay."

None of them said anything for the next minutes. A comfortable silence sat between them as the pair immersed themselves deep in their thoughts, both hitting different but ending in the same path just as how they stayed in the same house now that they're tied together in this contract.

"I guess we're just two defensive obedient kids," Heejung laughed airily, shaking her head as she grabbed her cup of apple juice on the table at her left.

"You didn't reheat the burger?" Sehun questioned, gaze not leaving the bright sight of the moon.

"No."

"Why? Then that would've tasted bland!" He winced.

"I was too lazy to. And it tastes the same anyway, what are you saying?"