Chapter #26-Logan

"Why wasn't I informed that the project team has been fired?" Genesis storms into my office, and drops a heap of folders on my desk.
"I walked into a empty room only to have one of your interns inform me that we wouldn't be getting a new staff until next week."
I don't look up from what I am tapping on my laptop.
"The project staff was shit. All of the events that were held were never a success. We paid them off. The new people we have coming in are better, fresher, and more efficient." I click send on the email. "I'm surprised they lasted as long as they did."
"That's nice, but you still didn't answer my original question, Logan, why wasn't I informed?" I don't have to look at Genesis to feel the anger in her voice.
I open solitaire on my computer, and start a new game. I answer her as I shuffle the deck.

"I wasn't aware that I had to share every decision I made with you."

"When those decisions fall under departments I still run, yes, you need to discuss those things with me. So I won't look like an idiot calling a meeting for a staff that we won't even have until next week!"

I shake my head, clicking on the digital cards.
"I don't understand why you're mad."
"Logan-"
"It was a good call. The only damage that was done was you couldn't hold your precious meeting, which you can reschedule by the way."
I stare at my monitor still avoiding her gaze.
"Now go prepare an introductory meeting for the new staff that will be joining us next week."

"Don't you dare talk to me like I'm your assistant."

At this, I raise my eyes to meet Genesis gaze.

I expect to see her huffing and puffing, but instead she stood calmly before me, her face expressionless. The only thing that let me know that I was in trouble, was her eyes, locked on mine, flashing angrily.

Synch and Bennett's Incorporated had been one business for three years now, and was more successful than they had ever been individually. Genesis and I were the people running it, the bosses. We represented the company. We were the first couple to ever own a successful multi-millionaire business, and this had earned both of us a spot in TIME magazine.
Working with my wife was great. It was nice to have someone to bounce ideas off of, run practice meetings with, take on conflicts as a unit instead of individually. Not to mention, the office quickies had multiplied by 100. However, after I had fought the business world with my partner in crime, after the lights were cut off and the doors locked, after the last meeting was held, I had to remember that Genesis, though an amazing co-worker, was still in fact, my wife.
And I didn't have to go home and raise a family with my co-worker.

"Genesis, listen-"
"No, you listen." She raises her hand to stop me. "I am a CEO as well. I don't make any major decisions without consulting you, or give you a heads up. I ask that you do the same. I'm already dealing with enough, trying to make your employees put their trust in me, and that's not going to happen if you do shit like this." Her eyes bore into mine.
"You don't give me orders, or tell me what to do. We have discussions, then we decide on how to move forward."
She straightens her shoulders, and raise her head. "Ok?"
I nod. "Ok. I'm sorry."
"You always are."
"Gen-"
The door to my office bursts open again and Lisa sticks her head in the door.
"I'm sorry to interrupt, Mr.and Mrs Bennett, but you guys have a phone call."
"You guys? As in we both have a phone call?" I ask, clarifying.
"Yes, sir."
"Who's calling?" Genesis asks.
"A teacher at St. Martin De Porres school. She says that Raelynn has gotten into some kind of trouble. She needs you guys to come down to the school."
I get up, grabbing my jacket off, the chair, following Genesis, who was already across the room, squeezing past Lisa in the doorway.
"Did she mention what kind of trouble?" Genesis asks.
"No ma'am just asked that you guys come down to the school."
As Genesis takes the phone from Lisa, I turn to her.
"Lisa cancel all of our meetings today, make sure you tell Johnathan that we left early. "(Johnathan was Genesis new assistant, having to get rid of Jamie when she moved to Connecticut with her fiancé).
"Of course, Mr. Bennett," Lisa says, she goes to walk away and I stop her.
"And would you mind ordering flowers for my wife please, the biggest bouquet you can find."
Lisa grins. "Yes, sir."
"Thanks Lisa, you're the best." I clap her on her shoulder.
Genesis hangs up the phone and looks at me.
"Is she ok?" I ask.
"Raelynn got into a fight." Genesis walks out and I follow her.
"A fight?" I repeat. "She's five years old, what the fuck is she fighting about? Crayons?"
"I don't know, I don't know." Genesis shakes her head as we reach the elevators that would take us down to the parking garage.
"But I guess we're about to find out."