Chapter Twenty Eight: As the Days Go By

"Call me every day, okay?" I asked, hugging my little brother tightly.

He laughed, patting my back reassuringly. "I promise."

"Good," I stepped back and took a deep breath. "Now go and make me proud, Sammy."

"You know I will."

I smiled. "Have fun at college, Sam!" Cas squeezed my hand reassuringly as he walked off. "And Sammy," I called. I heard him pause and turn around. "Make sure you hide your drugs!"

"Dean!" he screamed angrily as I turned around and cackled.

"Sir, can you please follow me?" someone, I could only assume a security guard, asked.

I felt the daggers of Sam's glare being thrown at the back of my head as he was escorted somewhere else. "That was cruel," Cas pointed out as we left the airport.

"Yeah, well, he'll be fine. Unless he actually does have drugs, then I will personally kick his ass."

He chuckled as we got into the car. "I know you will." We drove in comfortable silence before he spoke up again. "So, um..." I heard the blush in his voice. "What did you mean about what you said on New Year's...?"

"You're deciding just now to ask about it?"

"We've never really had time to talk... I thought that maybe when Sam left for college you'd tell me."

I flushed red, glad beyond anything that the drive home would only take fifteen minutes. "Well, I... I wasn't thinking. I mean, I was, but not with my head." I winced. "That came out wrong... I guess what I meant was that I'm so crazily in love with you that..." I shrugged, blushing darker and mumbling something unintelligible.

I knew Cas didn't want to ask for clarification, but the curiosity must've been too strong. "I didn't catch that," he said softly as he parked the car. I heard him shift in his seat until he was facing me, his hands reaching out to grab mine. "You can tell me, Dean."

"Doesn't matter..." I mumbled.

Cas bit his lip, obviously trying not to press for more. Sighing, he changed the subject. "Well, you know tomorrow is Valentine's Day... Maybe you could tell me then?"

Nodding, I scrambled out of the car before my head burst into flames from blushing so hard. Without even waiting for Cas, I scrambled inside the building and up to the apartment. Hurrying into my room, I slammed the door behind me, leaning on it to try and catch my breath. Smooth, Dean, I thought to myself. Real smooth. Sighing, I slid down to the ground, my back still against the door.

"Dean?" I heard Cas call as he entered the apartment. "Dean, are you okay?"

Pushing myself back to my feet, I opened the door. "Fine, Cas," I replied with a fake chirp.

"Come here," he held his arms out for me. I smiled gratefully and stepped into his warm embrace. "You can tell me anything, you know," he whispered gently.

"I know..." I trailed off, hugging him a little tighter. "I just don't know how to say it."

He took a deep breath. "I do."

"You do?" He nodded before pulling back ever so slightly. "Cas-?" I began to question him, but I was cut off by his lips pressing against mine. I closed my eyes and melted into the kiss, my hands moving to cup his cheeks. I felt him smile as I carefully pushed his back into the wall. I gasped in shock when his hands carefully snaked underneath my shirt and began tracing the old scar that rested above my right hip. But then, with a sudden surge of confidence, I felt myself step back and pull my shirt off before throwing it across the room.