Chapter 15: Storm & Shelter

The rain came in harsh gusts, like waves of icy needles attacking Kiara's skin, as she and Whiplash cut through the storm. Above them, fierce granite clouds collided with roars of thunder. Inky water churned below them, their salty waves rising and crashing as they lurched upwards to consume the dragon and rider.

Kiara's scarf had soaked through a long time ago and her hair likewise. Her jacket was her sole source of protection as she clutched her dragon for warmth to survive the polar wind. Whiplash's eyes scanned the storm, seemingly unfazed by the persistent raindrops, but her wings were strained as she fought the wind to stay upright.

All around them darkness loomed: dark clouds, dark ocean, dark downpour. Not a patch of sky nor a ray of moonlight was visible to the dragon and rider, not even at the hazy horizon. Battered and broken, they saw no escape from the endless onslaught; and they weren't sure how much longer they could keep this up.

"W-w-Whiplaaash..." Kiara moaned.

"You're stuttering."

"I'm s-suffering from hypo-hyper-themomia... or something."

"Your point is?"

"Can w-we please fly above the clouds!"

"And destroy any chances of spotting an island?"

"Anything to escape th-this morbid shower for a f-few minutes at least."

"You want to risk getting hit?"

"Hit by what?" Streaks of lightning flashed across the sky, then a bang of thunder blared in the clouds. Kiara gulped. "Ya know what? I'd rather have a torturous shower than get electrocuted."

Things only got worse from there. The wind picked up and Whiplash was tossed around like an autumn leaf. Panting, Kiara felt her heart pound wildly in her chest, almost as loud as the thunder from above. She had lost all sense of coordination as they violently tumbled in the storm. Pressing herself tightly against Whiplash, she felt the wind and rain throw giant punches at them from every angle. If it weren't for the ropes, she would have definitely slipped off her dragon by now.

Through the turmoil of wind and rain, Kiara's eye caught a flash of grey-brown on the ocean. Kiara forced herself to speak, "Whiplash! I think I see an island! Can you see it?"

There was a pause as Whiplash struggled to steady herself, then she answered, "Yes."

"OK. Then why are we flying away from it?"

"You see that arrangement of stacks."

"How can you see anything while tumbling through this storm?"

"There are rumours about that island. It's not safe. We're going to find another one."

"What?! You can't be serious! NO!" Kiara screamed, her anger rising, "You can't possibly expect us to keep this up till we find another island! Who says we'll even find another island! We'll probably be dead before then!"

"Do you trust me?"

Kiara blinked in surprise as her anger was flushed right out of her.
"Well, um, yes," she replied so quietly that she couldn't hear herself in the chaos. But Whiplash heard her.

"Then let me take you to another island."

"Whiplash, that's suicide." Kiara told her, "We have to wait out this storm first. At the island."

"No. We mustn't go near it."

"Arrgh! Whiplash! We are gonna die! We need to get out of this storm!" Kiara let out a frustrated sigh. Why was her dragon being so stubborn? "If you think it's unsafe, then OK. But anything is better than... THIS!" Kiara breathed out and tried to compose her voice. "If the island still gives you the creeps, we'll leave first thing in the morning. How's that?"