*35*

After the European tour dates, they settled down in Minnesota. Prince was still doing performances, but keeping them in the United States and Canada, which made for easier travel. The only exceptions were philanthropic, raising money for autism research. Prince had expenses taken care of by the organization, but waived his usual fee, enabling the organization to raise millions through ticket sales. Emma got to see and experience Dubai, which was very different from anywhere else she had been.

Emma traveled everywhere with Prince, at his request, which thrilled her. She would have offered even if he hadn't requested it; she loved being with him more than anything. Unlike most wives of men who travel, she was able to be with her husband every day. The love they made grew ever sweeter, as they became accustomed to one another. Rather than fall into a rut, they found there were more and more ways for them to lovingly attack each other, morning, afternoon, and night.

Emma knew Prince turned down multiple invitations to perform. Instead, he tailored his performances to either showcase young talent or raise funds for others. Every time she would mention it, Prince would respond with, 'It's their time, after all. Now I can use my credibility to enhance another life. It's what we're called to do, isn't it?'

He did enjoy performing on Saturday Night live in New York, a gig he had done several times in his career. He was on the same show with a friend and comedian who almost waxed poetic in his introduction. Prince reminisced, 'The first time I was on SNL, they made me wear underwear with a full back, instead of the hi cuts I always wore. But I made up for it by spinning around so my coat flew up and everyone got to see the goods. I wouldn't do it now, but it was a big deal at the time!'

He also talked his way onto an episode of his favorite sitcom, 'New Girl'. It was one of the few shows he made sure to record on the DVR, so they could catch up on episodes they might have missed when traveling. It was one of the few things that they watched on television where Prince wasn't trying to distract Emma from the program so he could 'steal bases' on the sofa. There were cute girls on it, but Emma thought the reason he enjoyed it so much was because it represented an America where color lines didn't matter, but people did. Of course, he was basically the point of the entire episode, and he was hilarious.

Pain was an ever growing problem, and Emma realized Prince was taking more and more medicine to control it. Emma finally called him out one afternoon when they were in Prince's office going over plans for his charities, and she watched him take pills too frequently to be safe.

It resulted in their first real fight.

'Husband, do you realize how much medication you've taken today?' Emma made her voice as non-threatening as possible.

'Emma, I'm fine,' Prince responded. His flat tone of voice and lowered eyebrows indicated he didn't want to continue the conversation. Emma pressed on, however.

'Prince, honey, you're starting to scare me. A body can only tolerate so much medication.'

'Emma, get out of my business.' Prince looked genuinely angry, which was a first.

'Honey, your well-being is my business,' Emma replied, tenderly. 'I only want what's best for you, and I really want 20 or 30 more years with you.'

'Look, I'm sick and tired of you constantly nagging me. You insist on being part of every decision I make, and I resent your constant interference. I was fine on my own without you.'

Emma could tell he was saying things to try to pick a fight or push her away, and she wasn't taking the bait. 'Prince, you know I trust your judgement and decisions, but I don't think you are aware-'

'How dare you say that I'm unaware? Emma, you are way out of line. Just back off! ' After yelling at the top of his lungs, causing Emma to flinch, Prince stomped out of the room, slamming the door.