*28*

Time moved swiftly, and the week of the wedding arrived. Thanks to the great team Prince assembled, all of the logistical aspects of the wedding were on point and ready to be fully realized. From clothes, to decorations, to favors, everything was in place for a wonderful day. At least, that's what the emails indicated. He felt his reputation for excellence, and the track record of the people he was working with, meant that was true.

Prince was in the studio, working on a playlist for the wedding reception, when the door opened and Larry stepped in, quietly closing it behind him.

'You're back in town! How were your final gigs of festival season?'

'They were great, Baby Brother. Almost as fun as Montreux. Nothing really tops being on the same stage with you, though.'

'I hear you, and I agree.'

'So what's this I hear about your not attending Kingdom Hall since your return? Has it got something to do with that pretty woman I met?'

'No, Larry, not really. In fact, she's only been here at Paisley a few days. I've been busy getting details for the wedding ready, while she's been packing to move up here. Then there was a last minute appearance at North Sea Jazz Curacao. It's just been a busy time.'

'You're really going through with getting yoked to a non-believer? I'm surprised at you. I thought you were clear about all this.'

'Larry, I told you in Switzerland I was pretty sure Emma was the answer to my prayer. By the time we left Portugal, I knew for sure. Although she isn't a Witness, she is the one for me.'

'Baby Brother, this breaks my heart. You could be disfellowshipped, and I would never be able to speak to or play music with you again.'

'Larry, I'm sorry you feel that way. I spoke with two elders, and that isn't going to happen. I won't be able to be nominated as an elder, but I'm not in Minnesota enough to participate at that level, anyway.'

'That is disappointing news. I have dreamed of us being on the elder council together.'

'We'll see what the future holds. I hope y'all are coming with us. It's a destination wedding, and I'm planning for you to fly with us. There's plenty of room on the plane.  I've made hotel arrangements for you, Tina, and the kids. It's going to be a very special day. I emailed you an invitation, but I hadn't heard back.'

'I'm saddened to say we are leaving town tomorrow to attend a conference, and will not be able to attend. I wanted to give you that news in person. I hope it is a joyful day for you. You've been lonely a long time.'

'Ok, thanks.'

Prince's polite but cold response told Larry he had just hurt his friend. Usually Prince was verbose, but if he was upset or didn't like what you were saying, those words effectively ended the conversation. He'd seen it happen time and time again, but had never experienced it until now.

Larry and Prince said their goodbyes, then Larry left. Insinuating that I have to choose between him and Emma? That's just wrong. I know Emma is meant to be mine. Larry's lack of support breaks my heart. He didn't really know how to process that, so he compartmentalized it for the present.

That evening, Prince and Emma had a family dinner party for Emma's family, Dillon and Barb, and Tyka and her husband Maurice. Marti and Mya had flown in with Randee, Bob, and their boys that day. Dillon and Barb had chosen to drive up, taking in the scenery on their way. Prince had a limo pick all of them up at the hotel and bring them over to Paisley Park, where Ray had catered a delicious meal in the Little Kitchen. Tyka and Maurice drove over and met the limo in the parking lot at Paisley Park. As they entered, and Marti and Mya hugged Emma and Prince, things were a little awkward.