*18*

Later that evening, Prince inhaled one small slice of cake, and sighed. 'That is almost too much. Almost. This will come in handy at 3 a.m. when I'm writing.'

'I can find recipes for whatever kinds of sweets you want. Just let me know what you like. Is Kirk staying here also? I'd be happy to make him a treat, too.'

'I do love cake, but hold on now mama, I still gotta fit in these clothes. Yes, Kirk is at the other end of the house. He takes care of security wherever we are. Don't worry, he won't hear us. Even if he did, he'd never mention it. Awww, you're blushing again. I've accomplished one goal for today.'

'Well, I'm still going to make him something. I'll find out what he likes. He takes such good care of you. I'm still reliving that moment with all the photographers the first day.'

'Yeah, it can get rough sometimes. I'm at the point where I just expect it everywhere. It gets confining. I like to go out to museums and concerts just like everyone else, but I hate having cameras stuck in my face and offensive things screamed at me just to get a reaction. It makes places like this extra special, just for the freedom of movement. I may not be able to go anywhere after the first week. We'll have to see. This is a pretty small town, and folks in small towns don't usually accommodate intruders like the press.'

Their days fell into a comfortable pattern. Sometimes they would go to the market and Emma would make a frittata using fresh vegetables and sharp feta cheese. Emma found other treasures in the market, handmade lace, and fabrics that she purchased for possible sewing projects in the future. The quality of the fabrics was much higher than what she could find back home, and she loved fabric for sewing projects.

Prince indulged her, and refused to let her take out her wallet. The market stall owners really enjoyed Prince's presence, because he always overpaid, and never wanted change.

Sometimes the lady from town would make dinner for them using freshly caught seafood, or pasta with lots of local vegetables. There were fresh figs from the tree outside the house for breakfast.

The second day, Prince came running to Emma. 'Have you seen it yet?'

'What are you talking about?'

'Come with me, you'll see!' Prince was super excited about whatever it was he had found. He led her outside, around a corner of the house Emma hadn't explored yet, and there in front of her:

 He led her outside, around a corner of the house Emma hadn't explored yet, and there in front of her:

'It's on now, mama!' Prince was rubbing his hands with glee.

'Really?' Emma replied. They'd never talked about it, but Emma grew up playing table tennis, and still had one in the basement of her Atlanta home. She didn't let on, but decided to let this play out.

'Will you take me on?'

'I guess, I mean, you have a reputation for this. I've read about you, and didn't you skunk someone famous once or twice? I think I'm doomed.'