The Breath of the Wild

Day 3 of Zelink Week! This is a....... I guess maybe an AU??? Maybe? Or maybe just totally different incarnations of Zelda and Link if that makes sense... This is dedicated to Masoelli04 for voting on my work! ;P Leave a comment or vote, and I'll dedicate a chapter to you, haha. I literally have eleven more of these to go. XD

This one didn't turn out like I thought it would... I don't know if I'm sad or happy about that... D:

Enjoy, read, comment, and vote. I am a tired person. I start too many things without finishing them... X_X

~Elsie

~~~

Rising from her bed and swinging her legs over the side, she stands and puts on her pink slippers, covering her mouth with one hand and yawning. Humming a melody under her breath softly to herself, she sleepily throws on a billowy powder blue dress and a pair of white leggings underneath. Then, she replaces her slippers with a pair of brown leather boots.

She's still functioning slowly, her brain hardly working at all when she suddenly remembers - "Today's my birthday!" she exclaims, a smile spreading across her face.

Rushing downstairs, she grabs a quick breakfast before heading outside with her roll with chocolate spread on top. The sun is shining brightly; birds chirp merrily in their trees, and the village is alive with the sounds of people going about their daily lives.

Calls of "happy birthday, Zelda" greet her ears, and she answers them all with a cheerful "thank you!". The square is buzzing with people, all of whom she knows in her small village. And then she sees his unkempt blond hair and runs to meet him.

"Link!" she calls, running into his open arms.

"Happy birthday, Zel," he replies with a fond grin, his eyes a shining cobalt blue.

She laughs in his embrace before speaking once more, "So... What're we going to be doing today?"

"A lot of different things - so much that I don't know if one day is enough to do it all," he says excitedly, tightening his arms around her.

Her eyes light up to match his. "Well, we'd better get started then, hadn't we?" she can't hide the laughter that's bubbling up inside her as she pulls away from him. One of her hands, however, remains locked in his as he leads her away from the square to the outskirts of the small town.

He grins as she catches sight of his horse, Epona. "We're going riding today, Zel," he explains as her eyes question him silently. Their smiles have remained intact the whole time, and Link assists Zelda in mounting his horse. She strokes Epona's mane while Link mounts behind her, wrapping his arms around her to reach his reins.

Soon they're racing away from their tiny village through Hyrule Field. The spring breeze blows Zelda's blonde tresses back and forth, and her laughter is lost to the wind.

They arrive at a tranquil lake that some call Lake Hylia and slip their shoes off so they can wade in the water. Zelda only goes into the water until about her ankles, but after rolling up his pant leg slightly, Link wades in a little bit deeper, until around his calves. It's a blissful time, and the day goes by quickly as they wade in the lake and adventure in the forest surrounding them. They're in a completely different world as opposed to their tiny village, and this is all that Zelda longs for.

Finally, it looks as though it's getting late in the afternoon.

"Zel, we should probably start heading back," Link speaks, making his decision based on the sky.

Stepping daintily out of the pristine water, Zelda nods, "Let's go back home - Thank you, Link, for my birthday present. This has been wonderful!"

He chuckles, "Well, it's not over yet, Zel." He once again helps her mount Epona before joining her. He controls where they go, and they finally arrive back at their village after doing some more sightseeing.