Chapter Twenty-Five - Greed

Start from the beginning

“Death Luster?” I repeated his words in confusion. “Why that name?”

“Well, saying Vampire Sleeper seemed inappropriate for public talk. Humans will just assume Death Luster means that they are a thrill seeker. In a lot of ways, they are.”

I eyed the girl more harshly now. Death Luster? What was she, an idiot? “Why would someone be a Death Luster? What’s the point?”

Matthew glanced at me and then at Angelica. “Why do girls like guys with a motorcycle? Why do people skydive? I think the answer is obvious.” He held a glass of wine to his lips and took a sip. “She wants the thrill. She craves someone that is exciting, dangerous, and is considering frightening in the eyes of others.”

It was stupid. Yet, the more I thought about it, the more I realized how hypocritical I was being. Why did I do drugs? Why did I go home with a complete stranger? Why did I drink until I blacked out for days? I did it for the thrill, and the escape. Looking back on my old days made me nauseated, nearly causing me to throw up right there. I swallowed back the vile and gave the girl across the room flirting with a vampire an evil eye. She shouldn’t be in this mess. “What happened to her mother?” I asked after I contained myself.

“What?”

I looked up at him, my voice low and careful. “You said her mother was the same way. What happened?”

His eyes went back to Angelica, his expression both bitter and almost showing sadness. Almost. “She fell for the wrong vampire. She wanted him to turn her because she wanted to see how it was like to be this way.” His eyes shifted back to me. “The vampire drained her and left her body in a sewer because he claimed that she wasn’t worth turning.”

“I’m sorry,” I murmured.

He raised a brow. “Why?”

“It’s obvious that you knew her. I’m sorry you lost her. I know how much it sucks to lose someone.” And I did. I’ve lost a handful of friends because they overdosed. It happens when you’re involved in such a dangerous lifestyle.

He gave a slight nod, still puzzled by my words. “She was a friend, in a way. She used to work here until she became pregnant with Angelica. After that she raised her until Angelica was around twelve or so when she died.”

It was strange to hear about a girl’s mother who reminded me so much of my own. I remembered my mom telling me that we couldn’t see my grandparents because they turned her away when she became pregnant at sixteen. I’ve still have yet to meet them. “When you say she became pregnant, do you mean by a vampire? Is that even possible?”

He chuckled, nearly spitting up some of his wine. “Of course not. Phoebe had slept with one of the men who had worked here. They had a small romance before she became pregnant and quickly left. It’s not possible to be pregnant by a vampire, Anna.” The tone he used made me feel like the dumbest person ever.

I glared at him and crossed my arms over my chest. “Excuse me, Mr. Million-Year-Old man. I don’t know your world as well as you do. I figured you probably had a few hundred little vampire babies by now.”

He smirked and patted me on the head. “You are hilarious, little human.”

“I know.” I looked back at the two in the corner, noticing how Angelica was mesmerized by Xavier. “You don’t think he’ll change her, do you? Like, fall in love with her?”

“I doubt it. Angelica is a sweet girl, but I’ve never seen a man so obsessed with a woman like Xavier is with Lucy. I’ve never personally met the girl, but apparently she’s the one.” He rolled his eyes and sat his empty glass onto the table. “I also know that Xavier can and will do everything possible to find her, even if that means getting close to the witches.” He gave a nod towards them.