Chapter Thirteen - Mistakes

Chapter Thirteen

                                                                                     Mistakes

Walking through the door of the house I’ve begun to love was a sweet feeling. I sat my suitcase down and went into the kitchen, immediately disappointed when I saw the empty fridge and the full sink. David was so going to get an ear full later. I scooped up a rag and began scrubbing away at the dishes as I tried to think of an excuse to use. My almost breakdown was bound to be questioned by him later tonight, though I doubt he’d push too hard on the topic. Lately lying to him has been rather easy, almost like telling the truth. Of course it pained me to just lie to his face, but it was so much better than the truth.

I placed the last dish back into the cabinet and started tossing rotting food into the trash with a disgusted look. I’ve been gone about a week and he never threw out the boiled eggs that were in there from two weeks ago. After that was done I took a quick shower, only shaving under my arms because I was wearing jeans and was also too lazy to shave my legs. It was only after I dried my hair with a towel when David walked through the door.

“Hello, stranger,” I greeted, adjusting my sweat pants and shirt to make sure I didn’t get water on them.

His eyes widened and he smiled so warmly that I felt myself becoming a bit emotional. He missed me, and that really touched me. “You’re back!” He embraced me tightly, his chin resting on my shoulder.

“I am! And I brought home frozen pizza for later.” I inhaled his scent, not in a creepy way, but in a way that made me relaxed and at home. “It was a long trip.”

He pulled away, his sparkling blue eyes now looking concerned. “How’re you doing?”

I maintained eye contact and just shrugged. “It was just a weak moment. It happens to the best of us.”

“I’m proud of you. I know this new job must be stressful, but you got through it and didn’t drink. That takes a lot of strength.”

I’ve never been good at taking compliments or praise, so I just shrugged again and awkwardly stepped away. “What’re your plans for tomorrow? I’m thinking a big breakfast—“ To my absolute surprise, I was interrupted by rough and hot lips pressing roughly to mine.

David grasped my shoulders and pulled my body into his before using one hand to touch my damp air. This moment right here I never, ever expected to happen. I had always considered David as just a friend, almost brotherly, but apparently I’ve been misreading our entire relationship. During our clumsy kiss I remained still and resistant, though I didn’t push him away. Maybe it was the fact that I haven’t kissed a man in over a year and a half, or possibly that I was in complete shock.

When he pulled away, breathless and glowing, I had to remain calm. For once I actually worried about ruining our relationship by telling him no. After all, he has given me a place to live. If I told him that I didn’t feel that way towards him, would he be upset enough to kick me out? I stumbled back a step and caught myself by grabbing the back of the couch. He waited eagerly for me to speak, but I was still too stunned to even react properly.

“I’m sorry, that might have been out-of-line,” he mumbled, suddenly questioning his own actions.

Though he could throw me out, I realized that I couldn’t just pretend. “I really treasure our relationship,” I began, “but I don’t know if I feel that way.”