Chapter Seventeen - A Farewell

Chapter Seventeen

A Farewell

It’s not looking good. No, scratch that, it’s looking horrible. Since they brought me in yesterday I’ve been told that I’m looking at five to ten years in prison. That’s a huge estimate gap considering how much has happened to me in just a year. I can’t say that I won’t do well in prison considering it’s pretty obvious that I would make a great prison inmate. I’m more worried about what might happen to the others there. I’d fight with anyone that tried to push my buttons. I also worried about David, only because of the trail of bad things I’ve left behind. What if vampires somehow found him because of me? What about my sister? I had hoped to get myself together and then help her, even if she didn’t want me to. I was just starting to get my life in order. I was going to help her get off drugs and off the streets. It’s my duty as the older sister. It’s pretty clear that my mom won’t be stepping in to help any of her children.

I draped myself across the thin mattress and stared up at the brown stains on the ceiling. Of course I deserved all of the crap I get, but did it have to be now? Couldn’t it have been after I earned a bunch of money and retired from my most recent job? This was all a bunch of bull. I was about to lose what little I had gained. There went my one shot at an incredibly gorgeous trainer that was single. I think that’s what really stung. Should’ve made out with him at least once.

An idea sprung into my mind, making me leap out of my bed. David couldn’t help me in here for a million reasons, one of which was due to him being poor. Jesse couldn’t help me because I barely knew him and he most likely didn’t have the money. But there was one person I knew who had the money, the power, the influence, and a reason to get me out of jail.

Matthew.

It’d ruin whatever plans he had for killing a bunch of vampires.

“I’d like to make a call!” I called down the hall, my face mashed against two of the cold metal bars.

The officer who had arrested me came down the hall and stood in front of my jail cell. He gave me a look as if I had killed a bunch of babies. “You have five minutes,” he grumbled as he unlocked my cell.

I marched past each cell, receiving several inappropriate looks from some of the men in the other cells. I guess it’s not common to have a nineteen-year-old chick arrested here. I ignored them and took the phone off the wall, dialing his number.

Someone answered after the fourth ring. “Foster residence, this is Jacky, how can I help you?”

“Jacky! This is Joanna. I really need to speak with Matthew.”

There was a pause. “Mr. Foster is busy.”

The clock was ticking. “This is extremely important. Interrupt whatever he’s doing and get him on the phone. I don’t have much time.”

I could hear her breathing pick up. “But…”

Please.” I was desperate. It was so obvious considering I called Matthew in the first place.

“Fine…”

I stood there for three agonizing minutes. The officer kept checking his watch to make sure I didn’t go over the five minutes. This was my one chance. Tomorrow I might be shipped off somewhere else to be held on trial.

“You better be bleeding out or something,” Matthew said, his tone filled with annoyance.

I had a minute. Just a single minute. “I’m in jail in Cook County. They said I’ll probably go to prison for five or so years for some, err, past things I had done. I need help and you’re the only one that I thought could help me.” I took a breath.