Chapter Twenty-Three - Bite Me

                                                              Bite Me

I was pleasantly surprised to see a car parked at the corner of the block for me. A driver opened the door for me, making it much easier to carry my coffee in one hand and a foil of Poptarts in the other. Mornings have never been my thing. I was moody because I’ve been so used to waking up at night and sleeping during the day. It wasn’t just because Matthew’s jobs and meetings were scheduled during strange hours, but also because David’s work schedule has been up and down. Lately he’s been working more, nearly fifteen hours a day. So when I do see him, it’s during an obscure hour in the night.

Jacky met me at the door, clearly exhausted and not used to mornings either. I shot her a empathetic look as she led me through the amazingly decorated foyer. Everything was currently being put up for the ball, but from what I could see already, everything was gorgeous. I doubted I had ever seen such authentic decorations. Had I ever even seen decorations? I could see beautiful creamy drapes around the marble pillars, and what looked to be pearls on them. Round tables were set up all around the room with ivory table cloths and giant centerpieces made of actual rose bushes that were filled with yellow roses. I could see several men setting up a fountain near the end of the room that was nearly my height. Jacky didn’t even glance at the room, but instead kept her eyes forward.

The room I was led to was the same room I had once stayed in, the red room. As soon as we stepped in I asked Jacky to remove all alcohol from the area. The temptation to drink was much stronger when stressed. She left with a bottle of wine, leaving me alone in the giant guest bedroom…Or so I thought.

“I see you’re not a morning person,” Matthew said as he came from the bathroom.

I eyed him curiously. “Vampires aren’t supposed to be awake during the day.” I had said it like a fact. It was as if I were telling him he couldn’t be here.

“Grumpy.” He walked slowly towards me, his eyes going up and down my body. “I see you’ve really dressed up to come here.”

I looked down at my grey sweatpants and my coffee-stained red tank top. “Only the best for you,” I replied in my usual flirty and teasing tone.

“Your makeover team is waiting for you in the bathroom. I had to wish them good luck because they’ll need it.”

His rude comments didn’t bother me like they used to. This must be his twisted sense of humor coming out here and there. Maybe it’s because we both had that dark and rude behavior? Like always, I brushed off his words and gave him an eye roll. “Go to sleep. No one wants you here hovering around and supervising.”

“I’ll be sure to have Jacky bring you a cup of coffee. You’re such a diva when you’re tired.”

I watched him leave before heading into the bathroom to meet my makeup team. To my surprise, there were three women waiting for me. Did Matthew think I needed that much help?

“Finally! I’ve been waiting for hours,” one woman with platinum hair with a pixie cut stated in a groan.

“Hours? Please, you’ve been waiting ten minutes,” Lacey said to her as she gave me a hug. “It’s great to see you again. I see you’re not conditioning properly.”

I rolled my eyes and looked at the custom beauty shop chair sitting by the counter for me. “I see Matthew has an army waiting for me,” I replied, gesturing towards them and the dozens of product bottles on the marble counter.