Chapter Twenty-Four - Hunger

Chapter Twenty-Four

                                                                   Hunger

I couldn’t believe how extravagant Matthew’s party actually was. It was rather packed with people, more than a few dozen. People immediately swarmed around us, wanting to see the great and powerful Matthew. Matthew kept me close, which I didn’t mind considering almost everyone here was a bloody-thirsty vampire. My nose caught the scent of bacon somewhere, as well as something sweet.

“Matthew!” shouted a voice through the crowd.

“Eloise,” Matthew replied with a smile.

A woman with incredibly long, blonde hair made her way towards us in a pale blue gown that reminded me of something from the renaissance period. She looked up at him and crushed her lips to his. He kissed her back. It wasn’t just a friendly kiss that people give each other when they say hello. I saw tongue, ladies and gentlemen. Awkwardly, I released Matthew’s arm and backed away, not wanting to be in their make-out session. Matthew immediately pulled away and glanced at me.

“I’m sorry, did I do something wrong…?” Eloise asked, eyeing me curiously.

I looked at Matthew, unsure of what to say.

That’s when Eloise looked at my neck, her expression shifting from concern to understand. “Oh okay. I thought something else…” She tore her eyes from my bitten neck and looked back at Matthew. “Will you please dance with me, Matt? I really love this dance.”

“Of course,” he said, looking from me back to her. “Hurry before they start.”

She grinned in delight and took his hand. They went to the dance floor and practically melted into the crowd of people waiting to dance. I went over to the table of food, my mouth watering so much that drool was actually dripping onto my shoes. Although disgusting, it kept the vampires away.

“Some party, huh?” Ashley said from behind the table.

She was completely glamorous in a knee-length white dress that was majorly puffy at the skirting, revealing hot pink colors underneath. Although it wasn’t quite ‘elegant’ as the other dresses, I was a sucker for the punk-like dresses. Her blonde hair was spiked in the front, and her eyes a black and smoky shade similar to mine. I envied her entire look because it looked far more comfortable than my corset-like dress. “I’m more excited about the food,” I replied with a wave of my hand.

“I hear you. Try the chocolate; it’s imported just for us, the humans.” She held out a platter filled with chocolate covered strawberries that were drizzled with white chocolate on top of the dark chocolate, making it look super fancy.

I grabbed one of the biggest ones and took a large bite as I watched the dancing people. Their dance wasn’t what I had expected. They didn’t dance like people would at a cheesy prom or high school dance, they were actually rather impressing. The females stood at one side while the males stood at the other, and then the men stepped forward and took a woman by her hands. They did these incredible moves that involved the women twirling and dipping and being held close. It was a beautiful dance, I hated to admit. I didn’t know many dances other than dirty dancing that I’ve learned from my club years. Seeing everyone move with such uniform was impressive.

“They do that dance several times a night, yet I still find it fascinating,” Ashley revealed in awe.

I reluctantly tore my eyes from the twirling bodies and back towards her. “Why aren’t you out there dancing?”