Quelling Anxieties

Right after chapter 5. Anna (Pre-relationship)

Hmm... we will probably have to start training the troops even more now that war has officially been declared... hmm... I'll discuss it with Chrom in the morning... I continue to walk to my tent, but I stop when I see a certain blue haired prince sitting at the campfire, alone. What is Chrom doing up? You would think after today he'd want to get as much rest a possible! Well then again... knowing him he's probably beating himself up after what happened... Should I go and talk to him? Maybe I should just leave him alone... what would he do if I was in his current position... He'd be a stubborn mule until I finally give up and calm down.

I take a deep breath and walk towards the fire. "Chrom? What are you still doing up?" I ask him.

Chrom jumps a little in surprise and calms once he sees me. "Oh, It's just you, Anna. I would ask you the same, but you are known for staying up late, so I won't even ask." He says.

I sit down across from him. "I was about to go to sleep, but I wanted to see how you were doing."

Chrom sighs. "That's very kind of you... but I don't want to pour out all of my emotions on you right now. You should probably get some rest, we have a long day tomorrow." He says.

I frown. "If you have worries or anxieties you can talk to me! That's what friends are for! You are always there for me whenever I'm feeling anxious, now I want to return the favor!"

Chrom chuckles. "Ha... I really am rubbing off on you, aren't I?" He sighs again "I just feel like this war is all my fault... If only I had kept my temper under control..." He mutters.

I sigh. "Chrom, none of this was YOUR fault! It's Gangrels! He's the one that tried to hurt Lady Emmeryn, you were only protecting her! I would know! I was at your side the whole time!"

Chrom bites his lip, I know that that is his tell for when he is unsure about something. "But..."

"Chrom. Why did you decide to come with Emmeryn to this meeting?"

"Well.. to protect her! Of course!"

"And what did you do to the soldiers who tried to hurt her?"

"I-I killed them..."

"And why did you kill them?"

"To protect Emm..."

"So that is. You did your job. Gangrel was the one who provoked the war, all you were doing was protecting your sister."

Chrom thinks for a moment, then smiles. "You're right... as usual. Gods... I never thought of it that way... Thank you, Anna... that takes a lot off my chest." He says.

I smile. "Then I'm glad! I can't imagine what you're going through right now, and if I can be a bit of solace for you, then don't hesitate to talk to me! Gods know I never sleep so I'm always up to talk!" I jest.

Chrom laughs. "Haha! You seriously need to start going to bed at a reasonable hour!" He says.

I laugh. "Hey, I can't help it! When you are reading a good book, you just can't put it down!" I say. We both laugh.