Fishing for trouble

Y/n P.O.V.

"What is that?" Fred pointed at Snape's head. I nudged him harshly as we walked.

"Can't be sure, but I think it's human." Fred pinched his nose and leaned away from the teacher.

I sighed in exasperation. "He can hear you, you know," I whispered to the two.

"Yeah, we know, but he's the nastiest teacher. He deserves it!" Fred flailed his arm toward Snape as if to say, "see?"

"Besides, Y/n, you don't have to hang with us if you don't like it. We're going to make trouble with or without you." George started walking faster, obviously irritated at me.

"It's not like we're friends. You just won't leave us alone!" He muttered under his breath. A frown slowly spread across my face, my lip twitching in annoyance.

The echo of our feet bounced off the cobblestone walls as we winded deeper and deeper under Hogwarts. The air increasingly chilled as we walked toward Snape's class. The hairs on the back of my neck stood on end as if they were looking around for danger.

A violent shudder ripped through me as we paused outside Snape's classroom door. I looked around us, feeling as though there was malicious intent around the corner. A red piece of fabric disappeared around a bend in the hall before I could catch a clear glimpse of it. The echoing stopped as we paused in the hallway. I held my breath, expecting something to happen.

George slowly opened the door to the classroom, the hinges squeaking madly. I let out my breath, thankful that nothing jumped out from behind the door.

Two hands were suddenly on my shoulder, shoving me forward. On instinct, I shrieked, turning around with a fist ready. My knuckles whooshed centimeters from his nose, his face paling in the dim light.

A contagious bubbling filled the dungeon, echoing off the walls. The laugh itself was wonderful, full of life and happiness; but the echo was cold and malicious, empty of all life.

"Not funny!" I gingerly smacked Fred's arm, my eyebrows furrowing together. He ushered me into the classroom, where the desks sat empty. Footsteps began echoing down the hall as other students journeyed to join us.

We walked towards the bench second from the back, Fred on the far end, George in the middle, and me closest to the wall.

"Y/n, there's a letter here for you." George gestured to the table. There, in my place on the bench, sat a brown envelope. I reached for it tentatively, still nervous.

The envelope tore open unevenly, my curiosity peaked. One eyebrow slightly raised, I pulled out a piece of pink paper.

Y/n,

Hello. The class will start in a few minutes, so read quickly. Today you will be doing a potion, Alihotsy Draught. Stir to the left and create the Shnargalph potion. Snape plans to fail you this class, even if your potion is satisfactory.

PS. The Shnargalph potion acts as a "shampoo."

PSS. Using it on Snape's greasy hair will help you officially become a part of the twin's friend group.

PSSS. The twins are going to grab this paper in 3... 2... 1...

Hands violently ripped the small paper from my own, the twins greedily looking over it.

"What the bloody hell? This ink is fading!" They both gasped in dismay. Looking to me for answers, they frowned simultaneously.

"Y/n, what did the letter say?" They asked at once. As I opened my mouth to reply, Snape walked in the room.