PART I: Chapter 10

CHAPTER 10 – DISTRICT TEN, YOUTUBER UNIVERSE

How awesome was it that something I'd only ever read about in three of my favorite books was coming here??

While it was the Hunger Games, and of all realities this was the one I would want to live in probably the least, it didn't cease to amaze me.

I was here in a sea of YouTubers like myself, rereading The Hunger Games just in case. I used the platform to review and discuss books, but had met a few of the more famous vloggers before. My friend, Kat, sat next to me, also a mix of ecstatic and terrified.

"If they pick you, I will laugh at you," she told me.

"The feeling is mutual," I laughed. "You have to volunteer for me. I do not want to go into the Hunger Games, okay?"

"We'll see..." she wiggled her eyebrows at me.

Effie Trinket herself stepped onto the platform in front of us. After a quick introduction, she reached into the glass bowl of female names. One of them was mine, one of them was Kat's, and the rest belonged to everyone around us.

She unfolded the slip of paper in her hand. "Christine Riccio!"

I instinctually let out a loud laugh, like it was all a huge practical joke. It already felt surreal. Still, the Peacekeepers pushed me to the front and I didn't even get to see Kat's reaction.

Effie gave me a smile, looking a bit lost, and I smiled right back. This is serious, Christine, stop laughing, I chastised myself, but still I couldn't get myself to believe it.

Effie pulled a second name. I hoped it wouldn't be anyone I knew, though that would certainly make it interesting and slightly more fun. For me, at least. At first.

"Phil Lester!"

I'd heard the name before and knew of him. The entirety of the internet seemed to think he was the nicest, most innocent person to ever exist. Sure enough, I spotted him in the crowd and watched him kiss someone on the cheek and then let himself be ushered to the stage with Effie and me. He smiled pleasantly at me and offered a handshake, which I went ahead and took up.

"Good luck, Christine!"

"And you, too, Phil."

The Fandom GamesOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara