PART III: Chapter 6

CHAPTER 6 – THE WOODS TO THE FIELDS

I'd left Avril and Maleficent to start a campfire and promised them I would return with more wood for its longevity. After carefully selecting a thin spear-point knife from Avril's stash and sliding it in my bra, I set out, half-hoping I'd get to use it on someone soon.

I didn't get far before I spotted Brendon a few yards away and quickly hid behind a tree. He was with someone. I dared to peer out from behind the trunk of the tree to watch them. Eventually they would either leave or start a fight.

"How the hell are you still alive?" Brendon scrunched his eyes at Isaac as he stumbled and fell face-first over a tree root.

"Trust me, I'm impressed myself," he muttered. Brendon laughed and clapped his back.

I turned back around, leaning my back against the tree and feeling my heart rate begin to pick up. Isaac was blind, meaning if I was quiet enough, I could lure Brendon away and...

Decision made, I stepped out from behind the tree. Brendon looked startled to see someone else in the forest with him. But as I watched, his expression changed. He was absolutely taken by how attractive I looked to him.

I used this to my advantage. Seductively letting my eyes flutter up and down his body, I put a finger to my lips. My other hand beckoned to him.

"Brendon?" a poor, clueless Isaac stuttered. He got no reply. Instead Brendon took a step toward me. And another. And another. Slowly his hand left Isaac's back, leaving him to panic.

I flashed a quiet smile at Brendon and pivoted toward the field of tall grass nearby. Made sure my hips swished just right. He hungrily pursued me. Stupid boy.

By the time we made it out of the trees, I heard a rustling beyond just Brendon's footsteps. I turned. About twenty feet away, Alaska had found Isaac standing entirely lost and tried to rush him away from the open space. I watched as Avril jumped out of a tree and sunk a knife into Alaska's neck. Well played.

Brendon was staring at me, and I knew that even the sound of a cannon shot in the distance shouldn't have distracted me from what I was doing. I hoped I looked sweetly disinterested while fiddling with the top of my shirt. I pulled it down for him, but not far enough for him to see the knife I had stored there earlier. That he would find out about sooner rather than later.