PART IV: Chapter 2

CHAPTER 2 – VICTOR'S VILLAGE

It didn't take long after my little outbreak for us to land by the Victors' Village. Steven followed me off of the shuttle and we ignored all the reporters and photographers already gathered there (as had been expected). I'd have my interview with Caesar soon enough.

I didn't have any energy left. It was a long day. A long week. I couldn't fight sleep.

**

I was rudely awakened by Steven shaking my shoulder. "Look, it's late. You can't sleep the day away."

I moaned and rolled over, out of his reach.

"Doctor, I know you're depressed about your dead friends," he sighed, "but you need to snap out of it at least long enough for your interview. You won! So act like a winner. Up, up, up."

"Do you have no remorse? No sense of sympathy for the mourning families?" I mumbled into my pillow, the last twenty-four hours catching up to me.

"Can't say I do. Your stylists suggested either gold or red for today. Which are you feeling more?"

"I don't care. Red." I sat up, and stared at him as he pulled a long red gown that flared out at the bottom from an open closet I hadn't even known was there. "How did you get into the house? Do you have a key, too?"

"Of course I've a key. Maybe the Capitol could hem some gold lining into this before the interview this afternoon? If we have time."

"Oh – okay." I didn't know what else to say.