Deleted Scene 1

THE BLOODBATH, OLIVER'S POV

"Good luck to you both," were Joanne's last words to Hermione and I as we were transported to our podiums. We exchanged a determined look.

It was time.

We all stood on separate platforms. We had ten seconds to take in the arena and decide what to do – run into or run away from the Cornucopia, where a huge stash of weapons and food were stored, but also where the highest percentage of tributes were always killed, so the stakes remained very high. Still, if I was going to find a broomstick or a wand, the Cornucopia would be the only place I'd find it.

The arena was huge – I'd known it would be, of course, but seeing it in person made me feel very small. It looked like it was mostly forest, though there were patches of tall grass around and patches of open fields.

Each expression on each tribute was different – from absolute panic to sadness to determination to confidence, there were twenty-four different faces in front of us, ready to be a victor.

The first cannon went off. The majority of us tributes ran forward into the Cornucopia, but a handful ran away. I knew I couldn't stay inside long, but I had to try. 

Everything moved very rapidly. The girl named Louisa from District Twelve got her hands on a crossbow very quickly. She loaded it and shot (presumably poisoned) arrows at as many people as she could. She didn't have much time to kill before Moira (District Nine) threw a knife expertly at her back. Tate, with a look of absolute bloodlust, plucked the knife from her body and slit an old man's throat with it – Professor Kirke. No mercy from the boy, apparently.

I scrambled past the chaos and tried to go unnoticed into the Cornucopia. And there they were: two wands! What an advantage Hermione and I would have with magic on our side. Wands in hand I turned to flee the scene but stumbled into the literal scarecrow they had competing. But that scarecrow didn't have much of a chance – someone threw a lit match and it engulfed him in flames. The scream was bloodcurdling.

That flame wasn't just a kill, however. Someone was the genius to build the Cornucopia out of wood, apparently.

So when the scarecrow went down, the Cornucopia went up.

Everyone scattered. I didn't have time to get around the fire. Eventually all I could hear was the sound of flame licking the entrance to the Cornucopia and engulfing all of the supplies inside, along with the sound of my own voice screaming for help that I would never receive.

**

CHRISTINE'S POV

As soon as I saw the match flying through the air toward the scarecrow, I picked up my pace, dodging poisoned arrows in the process. I fought Tobias for a canteen of water and some flint, and by then the fire had caught.

Everyone scrambled away from the flames. I followed Avril Lavigne, who had gotten herself a nice collection of knives, away from the flaming mess behind us. Turning my head to the left I saw The Doctor pick up a backpack as she ran by and chase after the other tribute from her District, Rory. Checking over my right shoulder I watched Tate Langdon, singed hair and all, walk calmly away from the chaos with no supplies at all like a post-apocalyptic movie. In spite of the heat, chills ran up my spine. I kept running until I made it to the cover of the trees.

Six cannon shots could be heard in the distance. The names would be displayed at night, when the sky was clear for the faces of the dead to be seen on.