PART III: Chapter 21

CHAPTER 21 – THE EDGE OF THE FOREST

I knew Moira's plan was to make a kill today – she had told us in the morning that she was thirsty for some action and wanted to do something before the Gamemakers took the fun upon themselves. I hadn't planned to follow her, but in my own venturing through the arena managed to watch as she started kissing Rory. What was strange was that he didn't seem against it at all. He didn't even seem concerned by it. Was he... enjoying it?

Moira released the back of Rory's head with her right hand, still kissing him, and reached to her waist. He didn't flinch. Instead he seemed to get more involved, as if he was afraid she was trying to get away.

She slowly extracted an arrow from under her clothes and caressed his jaw with the point of it. I could see what was coming and I had an unidentifiable reflex to stop it.

"Don't!" I shrieked before I could think any better of it. But it was too late – Moira had already sunk the head of the arrow into his neck. He stiffened and fell. No.

I only had one spear with me, but it was all I needed. With a yell of effort, I thrust it into her as easily as if she'd been stuffed. Blood seeped from the wound. As the second cannon exploded somewhere in the distance, I turned to see that everyone still alive had seen me – including Maleficent. This was it, then. I'd broken my alliance, and now it was her turn to kill me.

It had certainly been fun.