- Thirty-Nine -

♢ Laura ♢

When our gazes met, my heart went into over drive and I couldn't help the smile that spread across my face.

"They are over there." I spoke to my friends stood next to me who were currently searching the room for familiar faces. They both turned into the direction of the boys and we made our way over to them. Oscar and Matt had matched Katie and Rachel's outfits perfectly, Matt wearing a red tie to go with her red dress and Oscar wearing a full black suit and white shirt.

"Evening." Oscar spoke up first, lacing an arm around Katie's waist before whispering something into her ear. He cheeks flushed red and she giggled lightly.

Matt gave Rachel a welcoming kiss and then I looked back to reality to see Ryan unable to move, just looking at me.

"Earth to Ryan." I spoke and waved a little in his face.

"Erm, yeah. Wow." He couldn't stop looking at me with a dropped bottom jaw as his gaze scanned my figure. "You look amazing, Laura." He spoke so softly and took one of my hands, planting a small kiss on the back of it. The kiss sent a lovely shiver up my arm.

"Thank you." I blushed. "You're looking quite fine yourself, and" I lifted the end of his tie and held it against my dress. "you got the tie spot on."
"Not just a pretty face, now am I?" He teased with a smirk. "But you'll have to thank Oscar for the tie, he let me borrow it."

"Hmm, I bet Katie told him what colour it was, she doesn't keep quiet about anything." I glanced at Katie and Oscar who were smiling at each other, deep in conversation. "Oh well, I'll still give you the credit for it." I smiled up at Ryan and stretched my head upwards to gently kiss him on the lips.

I tried to pull away but Ryan wrapped his arms around me, gripping my hips, he pulled me back towards him and deepened our previous kiss, smiling against my lips the whole time.

We were suddenly shaken apart as Matt stood next to us.
"Come on love birds, you'll miss out on all the good food." He laughed and lead the others to the food table at the other side of the room.

Ryan just rolled his eyes at him and then looked back at me.
"Hungry?" He asked.
"Actually, for once I am." I replied to him with a soft laugh. "Good." He smiled at me and took my hand, and we walked towards the food table where the others were already piling food onto their plates.

There was your typical party food, sausage rolls, mini sandwiches and bowls of crisps. I grabbed a plate and placed a reasonable portion of food onto it. We all grabbed drinks and made our way back to the table to eat. I didn't want to eat too much if we were going to be dancing this evening.

As we ate, Ryan always kept glancing at me and my plate and I didn't mind the looks he gave me anymore. It made him feel reassured to know I was eating and he just wanted to keep me strong and happy. I did clear the plate of food I had, but only after Matt had gone back for his second plate.
"You're so greedy." Rachel commented as Matt starting digging into second helpings.
"I love party food though and you can only get so much on these tiny plates." He commented, making excuses for his gluttony.

Ryan and Oscar also went back for seconds, leaving the four of us at the table.

"He's been shitting himself about this evening you know." Matt spoke and after nobody responded I realised he aimed his comment at me.
"What do you mean?" I asked. His eyes suddenly widened after Rachel kicked him under the table. He obviously wasn't meant to say that to me.
"Um, he just didn't think you would like what he was wearing." His words came out in a jumble, he was making this up. Rachel just groaned.