- Thirty-Four -

♢ Laura ♢

After spending the last few days practicing the two songs I had chosen for Ryan's birthday, I finally felt ready, even if I did most of my practicing in the shower. I found it hard to spend time away from Ryan to practice as he didn't want to leave me alone. I didn't necessarily think of this as a bad thing though. 

Ever since our close encounter with each other a few days ago, we've been giving each other cheeky looks, we both knew what we wanted, but keeping to his promise, we agreed to wait until after camp before taking things more seriously. We weren't even an official couple, so it made sense.  

Rhi had given me permission to use the camps main hall today, so I could sing to Ryan with all the proper sound equipment. She told me it would be out of bounds to other people in camp so there would be minimal disturbances. 

Rachel had helped me set up, Katie was with Oscar today. I could explain everything to Rachel as she knew about Lacey. Katie still didn't know the truth so I was glad she wasn't here today, I was hoping that one day we could all tell her about it, but right now it wasn't my place to say.

I had placed one single chair in the middle of the room, this is where Ryan would sit as I took to the stage. The camp staff even offered to do some lighting for me and make sure the audio was as good as it could be.

"I'm going to get him now." Rachel announced and began walking out of the hall.

I was getting nervous now because of what would happen when I gave him the letter. I had set it down on a table to the side of the stage, thinking about it made me shake, it was so important to him. I nodded at Rachel as she left me alone. 

I had woken up next to Ryan this morning, and as soon as he woke up he was trying to figure out what his present was, but I'm good at keeping secrets and surprises quiet. There was no way he would pry the information from me, no matter how much he tried. My lips were sealed and it made me laugh when he got incredibly frustrated and stated that he didn't like surprises.

When Rachel walked back in the hall and the lights dimmed, one single light on me and one on the chair that Ryan would sit in, my heart rate began to increase to what I would class as a dangerous level. He walked in and his eyes instantly met mine. They gradually studied my whole body and took note of my outfit, a simple white knee length dress and matching white heels.

A smile tugged at his lips, although he still looked a bit hesitant about what was going to happen.

"What's all this about?" He asked, looking towards the single chair in the room. Rachel lingered at the back and gave me the thumbs up.

"Well, I didn't know what to get you for your birthday so I'm guessing this will have to do, take a seat." I spoke with a shaky tone and pointed to the chair.

I heard my microphone turn on and the music then started.

 I'll wear your winter coat, the one you love to wear

So I keep feeling close to what's beyond compare

The moments waking up, you catch me in your eyes

That beauty on my pillow that holds me in the night

And I would fight my strength to untape my mouth