- Sixteen -

♢ Ryan ♢

I refused to leave her side, even when the ambulance arrived.

She was rushed straight to hospital as they didn't know what kind of condition she was in. I had to make sure she was okay, so I begged the paramedics and Rhi to let me go with her too.

Katie caught up with me just before we left, everyone had been notified about what had happened and there would be a full investigation into who did it.

Katie explained to me and Rhi that we should avoid telling Laura's parents until we found out how serious it was. Her parents would want her to be rushed home and we knew Laura would hate that idea with a passion. 

I was now sat in the hospital corridor with a coffee waiting to hear from the doctor, it was very dark outside by now. I glanced at my watch and saw the time. 10:36PM. they wouldn't let me go in while they diagnosed her.

I sat up when a male nurse came out of the room opposite me.
"Mr Lake?" I nodded. "You came here with the young lady, Laura, yes?" I nodded again.
"Yes, is she okay?!" I asked with urgency. I suddenly felt like I was having Déjà vu.

"I'm pleased to say she will be just fine." I smiled with relief and got up from my seat.
"Thank god, Can I see her now?"
"Yes, but first I will need to explain what her diagnosis is and how we have treated her." I raised my eyebrows indicating that he could continue.

"She was severely dehydrated, we have put her on a saline drip for that. She is badly bruised and cut, it appears that she was beaten up badly. All her cuts have been cleaned and treated as appropriate. The reason she lost consciousness was because of her dehydration, the loss of blood and the way she was restrained. She will need a few days bed rest and some good food before she can go back to normal activities. But I am sure that you, as her boyfriend, will be okay to look after her." He said with a grin.

"Uh, I'm not her boyfriend but of course I will look after her." I wished I could say I was.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have assumed." The nurse said with a small laugh before leading me into the room.

There was evident bruising and cuts on her face, one even had to be stitched. She was fast asleep when I sat down next to her. She was so beautiful.

Seeing her lay on a hospital bed with tubes connected to a cannula in her hand reminded me of Lacey again. Lifeless and hurt. I was nearly in tears again.

I have shed too many tears to last a man a life time today.

---

I just sat and looked at her while she slept, she looked so peaceful.

She suddenly started to stir in her sleep, she was probably going to wake up and freak out.
Her eyes opened gradually and she took a deep breath before meeting my gaze.

"Hello." I said quietly before taking her hand gently. She took in her surroundings before speaking.
"Ryan..." she started speaking before frowning and then wincing in pain because of the cuts on her forehead. "Where am I?" 

"Shhh, you don't have to worry now, you're in hospital. You're safe." I began to reassure her "I'm so glad you are okay though. You were severely dehydrated and you are covered in cuts and bruises. Do you not remember anything?" I asked with a raised eyebrow and held her hand a little tighter.

"I-I remember following you down the track on our bikes, you got ahead of me." She paused. "I somehow fell off and I must have hit my head, I blacked out after that."