- Eight -

♢ Laura ♢

The Camps main hall had been decorated amazingly for our first entertainment night. There were fairy lights hanging all around the room. The hall itself is huge and had a wooden theme throughout. All of the walls were cladded with light wood and the large stage was the main focus of the room. It was well lit in preparation for the talent show but the rest of the room was very dark. 

The whole hall had been filled with round tables surrounded by chairs, each table had a candle as the center piece. It looked like a formal event and in all honesty, looked very much like a prom set up. We made our way in and settled for a table at the back of the room, staying away from people as they continued to pile in for the evening. 

There was already background music playing which lightened the mood. An archway to the left of the stage lead through to a brightly lit room which contained a drinks and buffet table covered in snacks. Rachel went to get us all a drink and some snacks before they were all gone. 

"Nervous?" Katie asked. "Nervous is an understatement." I said in reply before taking out a scrappy piece of paper from my bag which displayed the words for the song to make sure I didn't forget them.
"You'll steal the show, your voice is amazing Laura." Rachel gave me a reassuring grin. If the boys weren't here my nerves wouldn't be this bad, but as the background music stopped and Rhi walked onto the stage to do her introductory speech, my heart began to pound. To distract myself I decided to look across to the other side of the room. It was the worst and best decision I had made in a while. Ryan, Matt and Oscar were sitting at the table at the other side of the room to us, right at the back and for some reason when I turned, Ryan was already looking this way. I quickly averted my eyes back down to the lyric sheet on the table. Why was he looking at me? I must have been dreaming, right?

"Hello camp mates!" Rhi began as the room fell silent. "Welcome to Tabara's got Talent!" She laughed. "We have a fun filled evening ahead of us, so please enjoy yourselves and give our acts for this evening some support. Without further delay please welcome our first act of the night, Michelle doing some gymnastics." She said into a microphone and then left the stage. Everyone clapped as the lights changed and the music started. Michelle entered the stage with some cartwheels an began her routine. 

I took another glance towards the boys table, it was now surrounded by other boys and girls. You could tell they were very popular. Somehow I still managed to catch the sight of Ryan, who was still looking in my direction through all the people crowding the table. It didn't look like he wanted all those people surrounding him. He smirked at me before looking away quickly. Did he just blush? Was as he as nervous as I was? I ask myself too many stupid questions.

---

There were many people who took part this year, the acts included: singing, dancing, comedy and acting. There were some other good singers and it was only a matter of time before it was my tu-.
"Next up is Laura Weller to sing us a song." Rhi said looking into the direction of our table.
"Go on!" Katie said nudging me in the shoulder. I forced myself to stand up and began to walk towards the stage, the suspense was killing me and the room was way too quiet right now.
"WOOOH GO LAURA!" Rachel stood up and shouted. I suppose that helped as her comment filled the room with a small chuckle and a few people clapped.

I made my way onto the stage and the good thing with the spot light shining on my face was that I couldn't see all the teenage faces staring back at me. I didn't bother introducing myself or the song, I just waited for the music to start.