- Twenty-Five -

♢ Laura ♢

"I still can't believe you got caught, and by Kayla and Jess as well. That's hilarious." I laughed with the girls as we sat in the Sauna, wrapped up in towels. It was rather convenient that they had planned to take us to a spa on my birthday. No complaints from me. We had massages, face treatments, manicures and pedicures, the works. I was beyond relaxed right now. 

Rachel had just sheepishly spilled the beans about having sex with Matt in the laser tag arena.
"As if Rhi just let you off like that, I never expected that from her." Katie giggled "She was super serious about all the safeguarding shit when we first got here."

"I know, I can't believe we did it in there though, it was our first time together."

"Was he any good?"
"LAURA!" Katie bellowed at me for asking such an absurd question.
"What? I'm learning about the Lake brothers; it was only a question." I gave them all a cheeky smile.

"Well. In that case you can find out for yourself when you eventually hop into bed with Ryan." Rachel laughed and smiled at me. My smile dropped off my own face when I realised how stupid I was being. Ryan was serious about taking things slow with me and I was abusing that privilege by teasing about 'hopping into bed' with him. I shook off the thought and relaxed in the sauna while Katie and Rachel carried on with their conversation.

I didn't like the lack of distraction in the room because thoughts of my attack were creeping back up on me. I caressed my thumb over the deep laceration that was beginning to heal with scar tissue on my jawline. It would be there for life as a constant reminder.

Admitting weakness was the last thing I wanted to do, especially on my birthday but I couldn't hide how much it was affecting me now. I hadn't slept properly since, apart from the night in the tree house. I slept better when Ryan was there but he only ever slept on the floor when he stayed in my cabin and it didn't make it any easier, I just wanted him that little bit closer but he always refused, saying he didn't want to get carried away whilst being cuddled up with me. 

I had to put on a brave face for the rest of today and have a good time with my favourite people and tomorrow I can be weak and admit that I'm not coping. Jane had nearly ruined my life. Jane had nearly killed me. She made it look easy and god only knows how much further she could take things if she put her mind to it.

---

♢ Ryan ♢

The conversation I had with my mother a few hours ago kept playing on my mind and I think people were starting to notice the frown etched onto my forehead.

"What's up with you, Mr. grumpy."
"Mum called me." Was all I said before Matt sighed in realisation. The relationship between us both and our parents was next to nothing since our sister's death. It had truly torn our family apart, but part of me wanted my parents to see that it was their fault too and that it will never leave them for as long as they shall live.

"What was it about?" He asked hesitantly.
I replied through gritted teeth trying to hold back my frustration. "Jane went to see her, got all upset and basically put on a show. I don't know what she's playing at, but if it's to get mum and dad to dislike me even more, it's not going to work because I'm pretty sure there isn't much of a parent and son relationship left to ruin anyway."

"She's not worth worrying about now is she. You've got Laura." Matt saying her name brightened my mood a little. "And you need to finish setting up for her party, she'll be back in half an hour." He said, standing up from the bench and ruffling my hair a little. I playfully shoved his hand away. He always did that to reinforce the fact that he was the bigger brother and I knew it would never change.