Thirty one

"It's hard enough waking up every day and knowing that anyone around you could die." Lauren paused for a moment, tapping her fingers on the podium in front of her.

Lauren looked into the room of people in front of her. Everything was so solemn. Everyone was dressed in black from head to toe. Everyone was crying. She looked straight into Dinah's eyes in the front row. She was crying especially hard, but why wouldn't she be?

Lauren took a deep breath, wiping the tears out of her eyes and continuing.

"But uh, knowing that they're gone. That's what's worse. Life is fragile and just because something or someone is here one day, doesn't mean that they're going to be here the next. And we should never take that for granted. That's what she always used to tell me. I know it's kinda cliche, but my family and friends helped put together a collage of pictures and videos and I wanted to play it. After all, she was a bright spirit and wanted love only. So let's celebrate her life." Lauren finished and stepped down from the podium.

She was engulfed in a hug as soon as she stepped down. Lauren breathed in the familiar aroma and immediately collapsed into her mom's arms.

"Thank you so much for doing this mija. She would have loved it. Just like she loved you." Clara reassured, placing a kiss on Lauren's cheek.

3 pairs of arms wrapped around her next. Dinah, Normani, and Ally.

"That was beautiful Lo. She wouldn't have wanted it any other way." Ally spoke up, fighting back tears. Lauren nodded and thanked them before they walked away to give her space.

Lauren walked outside for a breather. It was hot outside, but that was Miami for you. She would have wanted her memorial service in Miami. It was her favorite place.

A black car pulled up to the church in a messy manor. It parked crooked along the curb and was obviously speeding to get here.

Lauren immediately rushed to the side of the car, recognizing who it belonged to.
Camila.

"I'm so sorry Lauren. I'm so sorry. I know I promised I would be here. I'm late and I'm so sorry." Camila apologized.

"Where the fuck have you been Camila?" Lauren raised her voice slightly.

"I got lost so many times and my gps was no help. I'm so sorry. You know I would have been here soon if I could." Camila apologized. Tears cascaded down Lauren's face. Camila walked towards The green eyed girl.

"No. Don't come over here right now. Cause you're going to hug me and comfort me and I hate you right now." Lauren let out.

Camila walked towards Lauren, against her wishes. She pulled Lauren tightly against herself. The green eyed girl balled Camila's shirt in her hands.

"I know you've probably heard this a thousand times but she's in a better place. She's not suffering in a hospital bed anymore." Camila sat down on the cement and Lauren laid her head on Camila's lap, the rest of her body sprawled out on the ground. It wasn't the most comfortable position, but they made it work.

"Remember what she told you?" Camila ran her hand through Lauren's long black locks. "Even if-"

"Even if I don't stay, everything will be okay." Lauren finished.

They stayed like that for a while. The couple earned a few weird looks from people around them but I'm sure they could infer seeing them in black clothes outside a church, that they were at a funeral.