Something shifted in the bed in his room which caught my attention. I couldn't see most of his bedroom clearly from my room, but the bit that I could glimpse was enough to know that he wasn't alone. A long slender leg stuck out from the sheets on the bed. Whoever it was must have only just awaken because only seconds later, tiny feminine hands stretched out in a yawn. From my bedroom window I spotted the bed sheets hanging around her body like a toga, which meant she was probably stark naked underneath.

Emmett approached the window slowly, and without making eye contact he closed the window curtains. It took me a few second to realize what had just happened and I turned and walked away from the window grumpily. I put the cellphone to charge before going to the bathroom to take a shower. I grimaced at my bed ridden appearance in the mirror and stripped out of the clothes and got into the shower.

The clock in the kitchen flashed 8:30, after I got dressed and headed downstairs. A sticky note with my name sloppily written on it was left on the refrigerator door and I got closer to read the fine print properly as it was scribbled hastily.

Secret,
money in the jar to get breakfast.
- Helen

Helen had already left without so much as a damn goodbye, or even an, enjoy your first day at your new hell.

Some parent she was.

I retrieved the dollar notes from the jar on the counter and left the kitchen; then headed back up the stairs to grab the satchel and cellphone that was now passed the half way mark, before heading out to the garage to get the Beetle. I opened the door and got inside before sticking the key in the ignition and switching on the engine; as soon as I had successfully exited the garage, I closed the garage door and climbed back inside. The high school was only fifteen minutes away by estimation which left me with absolutely no time to spare. A sticky note was stuck to the windshield which I had not noticed the first time and I stared at the back of the thing trying to read what was written on it.

School begins at 9. Don't be late.
- Victor

"I hope this doesn't turn out to be a treasure hunt," I mumbled softly, "because if it does then I'm definitely going to be late."

I thought about doubling back around the house in case there were more sticky notes left in less obvious places. The Beetle backed out of the driveway and out onto the street. I was heading in the same direction I had been to and from the last two days. There weren't many other cars around at this time and I drove along at a moderate pace. The clock on the dashboard read 8:50 AM just as I got close to Blade's house. The windows were rolled all the way up and the Beetle cruised along, as I kept my eyes trained on the modern two storey dwelling I had broken into the night before.

His Harley, was parked in the driveway again but the SUV wasn't there. The Beetle slowed and I pulled over onto the sidewalk just as I had done the day before. No one came from the house for about a minute. The garage of the house which I was parked in front of was open and I started the car and pulled into their driveway and rolled the Beetle into their empty garage.

There were all sorts of tool boxes just lying around, even with the garage door open. The car engine died and I opened the car door and got out and walked slowly around the sides eyeing the strange peoples garage. Whoever owned the house must have not had any young kids, because the tools weren't even secured. I kicked at a tool box with my shoe and it rattled causing the nuts and bolts inside to clunk.

Vroom!

The motorcycle revving startled me and I ducked in front of the car hoping he hadn't glimpsed me when he came out the house. The Harley roared mildly this time and I glanced out from in front of the car to see what was happening.