Chapter 24

"Thanks for your hard work!" Eunji and Junmyeon bowed to the VJs who bowed back, repeating the message.

"We'll be leaving now," one of them said. "We got lots of good material today."

"You two worked hard," the other one said.

The two cameramen hitched a ride back in the same taxi, and the two waved to the retreating taxi. When it was out of their sight, Junmyeon sighed. "Finally," he heaved.

Eunji turned to him. "You didn't like it?" she asked.

"I did, I did," he quickly assured her. "I just...kind of..." 

He let it trail off, not finishing his sentence. She wisely chose not to pry as he stepped forward a little. "Should I call you a taxi?" he asked her.

She nodded. "That'd be nice," she said.

He hailed down a cab and opened the door for her. She got in and turned the window down to talk to him.

"Do you have enough money to get home?" he asked.

She nodded. "I do." He smiled, beginning to turn away when she called out to him, making him stop and come back.

"Junmyeon, I had fun today," she told him. "Thank you."

He beamed. "I did too, Eunji."

She matched his smile, turning to the driver and telling him the location of her dorm. The taxi pulled away, taking her home, and leaving him alone on the cold night street that was getting crowded with people. 

He pulled on a hat and mask to prevent people from recognizing him and took the opportunity to just stroll down the street. 

At this time, when people were crowding around to do their Christmas shopping and get on with their busy lives, with the street full of the stampede of people, he felt strangely calm.

Maybe it was because this was a rare opportunity he had to be out here, in the cold, with no one, no members, no managers, no cameras, just him and the cold. 

He took in a deep breath, just walking along with no destination in mind. 

The day wasn't terrible, in fact he did quite enjoy himself. The only problem was whenever he spotted the VJs with their cameras. It sort of reminded him that the only reason he and Eunji were out on this date was because they were in a fake relationship.

Fake. Nonexistent. False. Fake.

The word kept repeating over and over in his head, and he found himself clenching his fist at that. 

If it wasn't for Chanyeol's scandal, they would have never gotten together in the first place. 

But then again, if it wasn't for Chanyeol's scandal, he wouldn't have fallen for her as well.

He sighed. He needed to get a grip on himself. At the end of the day, this was all just business. She probably didn't even like him the way he liked her.

Deciding that he needed to get home and have a warm shower, he hailed a cab and got home.

***

The six girls were busy practicing the dance to their newest song, when their manager came into the room.

"Unnie, is something wrong?" Chorong inquired.

Her manager shook her head. "Nothing's wrong," she smiled at them. "Just...the CEO wants to see Eunji."

"Me?" Eunji asked. "Why though?"