Chapter 18

He takes her out for a simple ice cream date. 

Right after their double date with Taeyeon and Baekhyun, Apink had been absorbed into their new comeback and EXO had also been gifted a well deserved vacation in a foreign country, which left them not seeing each other for a while. And even though he was thankful for the opportunity to relax, he would admit that he felt just a tad bit empty. 

Or maybe that was just the part of him wishing he was on this island with Eunji instead.

Either way, the two had kept in contact through texting and face calls, and she had always seemed a bit more tired than usual, and there were times when she was unavailable to speak completely. But when she was there, she'd always joke that he needed to take her out on a simple classic date when he got back from vacation.

So he did. 

The two were currently walking along the Han River and eating their ice creams. He had planned so that they'd be out at night (he knew an amazing 24 hour ice cream stall he and the others would frequent during their trainee days) and not be disturbed by raving fans at all. So here they were, eating ice cream at 2 AM while walking along the Han River.

"This is nice," Eunji commented, sighing.

He turned his head slightly. "You liked it?"

She nodded. "Even though a date in the middle of the night isn't exactly what I envisioned, I still like this."

He chuckled slightly. "Maybe we'll have another role where we have a date in daytime. You can always look forward to that." 

She smiled. "I guess so." She looked up at the dozens of stars twinkling above their heads, like a sparkling canopy. "You sure know how to plan a date, though," she dreamily said.

It was then that he noticed something was wrong.

"Hey, is something up?" 

He looked behind him, his brow furrowed. He then wordlessly put his arm around her shoulders and lead her back to the car at a quickened pace. He opened the door for her, looking around until she got in and then got into the other side.

"Junmyeon-shi, what is-"

"Shh," he silenced her, "Duck."

Now she was beginning to feel fear crawling in her stomach. Clenching her fists, she ducked so that they were unseen from the outside. With extreme thoughts running through her mind, her only consolation was Junmyeon's hand on her back, keeping her down.

After what seemed like hours (but was only actually a few minutes), Junmyeon peeked from behind the dashboard. He then let out a breath and straightened up, letting his hand slide off from her back. He leaned back against the chair, and she noticed a few beads of sweat on his forehead.

"Junmyeon-shi," she softly said, grasping his hand, "what happened?"

"Saseangs," he simply said.

She froze at that word. "Wh-which ones?" she asked.

"I'm not sure," he said. "But judging from the way they're out in the middle of the night, I'm guessing the ones with a grudge against us."

This just got a whole lot worse...

She was now starting to feel the cold chills clutching at her heart. "What do we do now?"

"Us? I'm taking you back to your dorm," he said, starting up the car. 

She nodded silently. In the situation they were currently in, heading back to the dorms to hide out was the best course of action. 

He drove down the familiar street to park opposite her dorm building when he stopped the car a block away, noting something gone wrong. Right in front of the building was a vehicle, a small car that none of them would ever use.