Chapter XXXVIII

The weather is the kind that feels like a kiss of summer without the fiery heat of noon time in August. The grass is a soft green that almost has a hint of blue and in the sky is enough pristine white cloud to show you how beautiful the sky was, how perfect. The concrete of the path was warm under the soles of the combat boots that walked across the pavement.

The movement stopped and rich brown eyes closed in order to focus just on sound.

There is was, the blackbird song, how could anyone not say that was music? He opened his eyes and let the daylight flood back in, bringing the late April day right back into focus. He would have sat cross legged on the weed filled lawn and looked for the flowers that he loved just as much as the roses she tended with such loving care.

However, he could not. He was here on a mission, and he would succeed. Standing still in the meadow, he realised how long it had been since he had last seen such a beauteous scene. It had been sand, sweltering heat, dehydration, war and blood for what felt like the longest time. He had absolutely no idea how long he had been gone, he needed to know how long he had been gone...

And if he was late...

Looking around him, he noticed an elderly man seated on a bench not to far away from him, reading today's newspaper. Turning on his heels, he approached the man, politely enquiring about today's date as the man smiled and enlightened him, and then leaving him to stand in a frozen state with wide eyes.

It was May 15.

She hardly had two months left.

That realisation had his heart stutter in its beat as his breathing came up in short pants while his throat denied him the luxury of breathing. He rubbed his neck to ease its chokehold and succeeded some before he frantically looked around, searching for the direction he was meant to go in. Finally finding the familiar path.

Without thinking and without consideration, he sprinted up the path. Bumping into people without a care as he knew he had to reach his destination. He was a man on a mission and nothing would be getting in his way, not the cussing pedestrians, not the barking dogs, and not the hurt and toppled people he knocked over, and most definitely not the hot coffee he managed to spill on himself when he bumped into a person holding a disposable cup of the beverage.

Although, seriously? Hot coffee in May?

That thought left his mind as soon as it entered as he continued to sprint across the topography laid out in front of him. When he finally arrived at his destination, he was drenched in sweat, his dark hair matted to his forehead with his face flushed and eyes wide, and his breathing coming in short pants as he found to be having trouble catching his breath. Clasping his knees, he evened his breathing before straightening and exhaling into the summer sky.

It was a much too beautiful day for the mood he was in.

Once he regained his breathing, he walked forward, and entered through the sliding doors. Walking over to the first reception desk, he was directed to the fourth floor. A small smile quirking at his lips at the coincidence. Once at the fourth floor, he found himself standing in front of an incompetent young man that wouldn't give him the information that he needed.

"Where is her room?" He growled lowly, seeing the fear creating a thick veil around the male nurse as he felt internally satisfied.

"O-only family is allowed..." He stuttered nervously, backing away from him. "H-her family i-is d-d-dead."

Lunging forward, he grabbed him by the collar of his scrubs, pulling him dangerously close as he whimpered in fright.

"Listen here, punk." He growled dangerously calm. "Family never end in blood. And I am the closest thing she has to family! She is my responsibility! Tell me where her room is!"